FURY ! 2nd Armored Divison Medal Grouping with Patch Citation

KASTAUFFER

I just picked this up because I really likes the citations. If you read them it seems he could have been awarded a Silver Star instead for either action. WWII Bronze Stars for Heroism are under-rated in my opinion.

I will let the citations tell the story of this group:

fury1.JPG

fury2.JPG

Kurt,

I completely agree with your assessment of the awards deserving higher awards. Great group, I think the unit citations issued in WW2 are outstanding. Thank for posting.

John

Great group Kurt, those citations definitely read like Silver Stars to me.

The unit citation is very nice as well, congrats on the pick-up!

Philip

You already know how I feel about armored items. This is really sweet. I love the citations. Did you notice the tank is a Pershing? I wonder when these were actually awarded.

Thanks for showing these.

? I wonder when these were actually awarded.

Jim-

Collier (the guy signing the citation) was CG of the 2AD from 8 June 45 to 4 Sep 45, so that pretty much nails it down.

I too like the divisional citations and pick them up whenever I can (which is not at all often). I aways thought getting an example from each combat division would make a great collection.

Kurt

Kurt Barickman

Kurt,

Really nice grouping! Was that during the Breakout? You should refer to Mark Bando's book about the 2nd Armored Breakout and see if that action is mentioned.

Kurt

Nice set. I've never seen one from the 2AD. US award documents are under appreciated IMO. After all, the document IS the actual award not the medal.

Very nice grouping!

People forget that many if not most soldiers only got the certificate & a ribbon and if lucky the medals caught up much later.

Great grouping!

Nothing has changed since WW2, most still only get a certificate. Seen plenty if awards ceremony where medals were collected afterwards for the next one. I do have my original CIB though.

Kurt, I agree WW2 Bronze Stars are under rated. When you have citations like these they should be valued like a Silver Star. Under rated medals should have their own topic.

Dick

Great group!

I like the unit made citation documents. I have seen several for various units. I wonder how many divisions made the up for various medals. Would be an interesting topic.

Jeff

Jim-

Collier (the guy signing the citation) was CG of the 2AD from 8 June 45 to 4 Sep 45, so that pretty much nails it down.

I too like the divisional citations and pick them up whenever I can (which is not at all often). I aways thought getting an example from each combat division would make a great collection.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt!!

Kurt,

Really nice grouping! Was that during the Breakout? You should refer to Mark Bando's book about the 2nd Armored Breakout and see if that action is mentioned.

Kurt

It looks like he was part of Task Force Stokes. There is a good account of this action in "Hell on Wheels", by Donald Houston. Start on page 274, 3rd paragraph.

Kurt,

Kurt

Trelly is not far from "Les hauts vents" (1,5km east of Trelly) where Thyshen was killed by 2nd armored's soldiers.
The parallel with the citation is amazing.