Verdigris removal discovery

GIl Sanow

Today I found my father's WW1 brass reflector compass -- the same one he used a surveying camp at an engineering school (Case) and the one I used in Scouts to learn compass. It was heavily tarnished with green verdigris. I used a wood splinter to scrape off the worst on one side, then used a coarse cloth to rub off more. Then I spotted a can of WD-40 and decided to give it a try. A squirt on the cloth was all I needed -- the green stuff came right off! It seems to dissolve the waxy tarnish with almost no effort.

I would only use it on brass, not on leather because I am unsure of the long-term effect.

I wonder if WD-40 will also prevent future verdigris buildup. It remains to be seen.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

G

I am told that on brass, WD40 will indeed prevent future verdigris. I'd agree, I wouldn't let this get near leather or old painted surfaces because it could have a destructive effect on those materials.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely have to try this.

Every true Southerner has WD-40 and a roll of duct tape in their tool box! :lol:

...Kat

Yes Gil. I've used a Q-tip soaked with WD40 to remove verdigris from around rivets etc., many times. As you say, it works fine!

Saberjet,-- have you noticed any long-term effect on the leather the rivets were in? I fear it might cause some sort of deterioration.

G

Saberjet,-- have you noticed any long-term effect on the leather the rivets were in? I fear it might cause some sort of deterioration.

G

Not really Gil...other than a little staining around the base of the rivet where the WD has soaked into the leather...negligible really. I always dig out that "blue goo" with a tooth-pick first!

you know what will remove verdigris?

lemon juice and a q-tip or brush. ;)

then you are not leaving any petroleum product to sit on an antique.

-Brian