Goodyear F2G Super Corsair Pics

CorsairAce

Over the next several days/weeks I will be posting lots of Goodyear pictures that were donated to MAPS Air Museum (www.mapsairmuseum.org). So I decided to start off with the F2G...

F2G06.jpg

F2G05.jpg

F2G04.jpg

F2G03.jpg

F2G02.jpg

F2G01.jpg

Outstanding stuff!

I'm not a Corsair guru... does that last photo show the XF2G-1?

Looking forward to seeing more...

Fade to Black...

brandon_rss18

man those things are BAD!!!!!!!! I would be pretty scared with that on my tail!!!!!!!!!

If I remember right, there were only ten built - five folding wing and five fixed wing - before the war ended. Believe it or not, a fellow about 20 miles from me owned TWO of them! He sold one to a fellow who restored it into a Reno racer and the other went to the Crawford Aviation Museum here in Cleveland.

Back in the 50's, Walter collected airplanes when they were surplus junk, parked them in a field by his house and let them rot. I am not sure how many he still has left but I know he sold his F-82 Twin Mustang a few years ago.

Oh yeah... The guy is a millionaire but to look at him you would swear he is homeless!

Tom thumbsup.gif

CorsairAce

Tom, Walter even has a huge B-36 in his yard!!! His one F2G that was with Crawford (Racer 74) is now owned by a fellow in Cushakton, OH who plans to restore it to flying condition. The other racer you are thinking about Racer 57 restored and operated by Bob Odegard was not owned by him. Although he also had/has 3 other Corsairs 2 Goodyear and one Vought. He has sold a B-25 as well and a few others. There will hopefully be a few more come out if all goes right.

Here are some more XF2G-1 pics. THese are all from its first flight.

XF2G-1Flight013.jpg

XF2G-1Flight009.jpg

XF2G-1Flight012.jpg

XF2G-1Flight010.jpg

XF2G-1Flight008.jpg

XF2G-1Flight007.jpg

XF2G-1Flight004.jpg

XF2G-1Flight003.jpg

XF2G-1Flight002.jpg

brandon_rss18
If I remember right, there were only ten built - five folding wing and five fixed wing - before the war ended. Believe it or not, a fellow about 20 miles from me owned TWO of them! He sold one to a fellow who restored it into a Reno racer and the other went to the Crawford Aviation Museum here in Cleveland.

Back in the 50's, Walter collected airplanes when they were surplus junk, parked them in a field by his house and let them rot. I am not sure how many he still has left but I know he sold his F-82 Twin Mustang a few years ago.

Oh yeah... The guy is a millionaire but to look at him you would swear he is homeless!

Tom thumbsup.gif

He had an F-82!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jeal0001.gif I have no words

Yesterday I was in a "greasy spoon" in Newbury and in came Walter and his wife for lunch. He looked more homeless than usual. The guy is amazing. The fellow I was with spoke of a big-time warbird dinner he attended one time. Strictly suit and tie. In walks Walter looking like he just crawled out of a cardboard box in an alley.

I have never been in his place but I have flown over it. Fuselages and weeds.

When he dies, it is going to look like a feeding frenzy on "Shark Week"!

Tom