WWI 9 & 10 pocket ammo belt & pistol belt makers.

Mitter2k1

Frank

Nice belt and a great wat to track what you have. I don't recall any being stamped L.C. Chase, only stamped like yours. Have you seen any? Good luck on the hunt.

Bob

wish I had the wall space to display my belts. My records show I have one LCC 9 pocket but haven't found it yet. I guess their pretty rare

Yeah no kidding. I put up mine and added my BAR gunner belt to it. I quickly took a pic and removed it from the pegboard. I wish I had a large enough place to display them flat so the pockets could be filled out to give it that full look. But it is a work of art in my eyes.

Mike

Did L&D Inc. ever make a sewn ammo belt? I know they made other items during WWI like the M1910 haversack. The only reason I ask I I came across a photo of a BAR bandoleer on an eBay listing and wonder if they ever produced ammo belts or strictly stuck to the items they already were producing.

Thanks,

Mike.

Posted Image

The terms mounted and dismounted are terms that are used like 9 pocket and 10 pocket. You could say M1914 or M1917 but someone may not know what you are talking about. I use these instead just to keep it simple. But I do think that they apply to ammo belts in regards to their use. The mounted or 9 pocket belts were issued to mounted troops. However if you get deeper into it you will see they were issued to NCO's as well since some were issued side arms. And dismounted belts were issued primarily to infantry who were less likely to carry a sidearm.

Do you have a pic that you could post here? It would be greatly appreciated since I cannot find one on the Internet.

Thanks,

Mike

Gotcha, I just hear mounted and dismounted terms with canteen covers n such and I never really knew what it was referring to. I do not have a pic as I really don't know how to upload, but I'll definitely try later. I also have a Russell 1911 pouch on it as well.

While going through my belts I came up with this one. No marking what soever. Just some numbers which are probably some ones service # Anyone have any idea about it, Also I found my LCC & Co belt. Put it in my display case for some reason. Robert

post-551-0-61861000-1386451726.jpg

post-551-0-15976800-1386451755.jpg

post-551-0-96545500-1386451786.jpg

strange belt. Here's an 8 pocket belt. Been cut down. Maybe for really small waist

attachicon.gif8 pocket 1.jpg

attachicon.gif8 pocket 2.jpg

attachicon.gif8 pocket 3.jpg

funny, im not sure if they all are, but my 9 pocket is really long compared to a ww2 belt ( and yes, ive had it adjusted all the way down before) so I wouldn't doubt someone cutting it down for a small waist. And what's with the oval grommets on the female side of the belt?

funny, im not sure if they all are, but my 9 pocket is really long compared to a ww2 belt ( and yes, ive had it adjusted all the way down before) so I wouldn't doubt someone cutting it down for a small waist. And what's with the oval grommets on the female side of the belt?

Just another variation. Allowing two attachments of equipment in one hole.

The oval grommets are an older style I believe. You can see them on the early pea green belts. It looks like that it was maybe put together from 2 unserviceable belts to 1 good belt. As for the 9 pocket belt I think mine is longer as well. I think that has to do with the space for the magazine pouch being wider than a regular pouch for the stripper clips. I'd have to measure the sections and compare them so see how much difference there is.

Thanks for posting,

Mike

I almost forgot. Thanks Le Dirk for posting your Russell belt. I've never seen one in the wild and it's a nice example.

Thanks,

Mike

While going through my belts I came up with this one. No marking what soever. Just some numbers which are probably some ones service # Anyone have any idea about it, Also I found my LCC & Co belt. Put it in my display case for some reason. Robert

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif unk belt 2.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif unk belt1.jpg

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif unk belt 3.jpg

Here's a quick way to ID the belts. I borrowed this pic from the Internet and it's a quick and simple guide to the difference between the belts. Yours appears to be a M1923 and is probably an early WWII manufacture. It's in nice shape though.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

Posted Image

Mike, thanks, and no problem, posting those pics made me find an easier way to post 'em, so a win win. and thanks for the info on the oval grommets, those are the first I've seen.

Thanks for the info on the grommets, LtRGFRANK.

Derek

Mike, thanks, and no problem, posting those pics made me find an easier way to post 'em, so a win win. and thanks for the info on the oval grommets, those are the first I've seen.

Thanks for the info on the grommets,  LtRGFRANK.

Derek

I made an error in my comments. I was researching the Mills belts and those that had the Oval grommets had them on the female end. This does not necessarily mean the belt was put together. While it is possible, it is not likely and your belt is probably all original parts and not pieced together from good parts. I apologize in my assumption that it could be. I just thought that they were on both halves and not on one. So I learned something today.

Mike.

I made an error in my comments. I was researching the Mills belts and those that had the Oval grommets had them on the female end. This does not necessarily mean the belt was put together. While it is possible, it is not likely and your belt is probably all original parts and not pieced together from good parts. I apologize in my assumption that it could be. I just thought that they were on both halves and not on one. So I learned something today.

Mike.

No problem. I just need to find one that hasn't been altered

No problem. I just need to find one that hasn't been altered

There are tons out there. I've had good luck on ebay for good ones at a decent price. If you are looking for a Mills though it may cost you a bit more than a sewn model. I am actually searching for a 10 pocket Mills myself. The example I do have is a 9 made into a 10 pocket.

Mike

OOPS. My son told me to dig deeper. Found out we have a Mills 10 pocket with oblong holes. I guess I have too much stuff

FALSE! You can never have too much stuff, you just haven't used your house to its fullest potential ;)

Mike

Mike.

I wonder why only on the female side?

Let me check my field manuals for an answer. They may of required the bayonet and something besides the canteen to be carried on that side. I think the first aid pouch was supposed to go on the right rear according to the book. And the canteen went to the left rear over the second to last pocket I believe. I'll find it and post a pic of the orders.

Mike

Mike M.

attachicon.gifunk belt 2.jpg

attachicon.gifunk belt1.jpg

attachicon.gifunk belt 3.jpg

This looks to be an early M-23 my guess is 41 or 42 manufacture.

Bob