WWI 9 & 10 pocket ammo belt & pistol belt makers.

Mitter2k1

I am curious how many makers there were for the 9 and 10 pocket ammo belts during WWI. Off the top of my head there was Mills, Russell, Plant Bros. & Co. and LCC & Co. Am I missing any that I haven't came across? Also I am assuming that Russell and LCC & Co. made a 9 pocket. Is that correct as I haven't came across any in my daily browsing. My goal is to have one of each 9 pocket, 10 pocket, pistol belt and modified 9 pocket. So far I have at least one of each type, but not one of each maker. And I am not sure about the pistol belts. Is there a thread for all of this that I'm missing? I try looking at the reference sections on both my phone and PC and it has either nothing or on the PC it says I can't access that material.

Thanks,

Mike M.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mike,

I know that RockIsland Arsenal made them as well. Saw a mint 9 or 10 pocket marked RIA belt at a auction that sold with a WWI dough boys complete grouping for over $1100 I want the belt so bad

Craig

Mike,

I know that RockIsland Arsenal made them as well. Saw a mint  9 or 10 pocket marked RIA belt at a auction that sold with a WWI dough boys complete grouping for over $1100 I want the belt so bad

Craig

Was the belt a rimmed or rimless eagle snap or lift the dot? I recall seeing a RIA belt somewhere a while back don't really remember the specifics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mike,

The belt was a 10 pocket lift the dot late war as I remembered, also it was a very interesting mustard / green color canvas.

Craig

From America's Munitions 1917-1918 page 229 The list of the major concerns that produced textile equipment were as follows.

At the onset of the war only these two companies prodeuced woven material.

Weave construction

Mills Worcester, Mass

Russell Middleton, Conn.

As the need increased Mills and Russell could not keep up with demand so they started making things in a stiched construction.

Stiched construction

Plant Bros. Boston, Mass

R.H. Long Co. Farmingtom Mass.

L.C. Chase Co. Watertown, Mass.

There is no list of quantities for these items, sorry. It does list the contractora and quantites of mess gear Knives, forks, spoons etc. Over 10,000,000 of each. No wonder they are all over the place.

Hope this helps

Bob

Thanks bheskett for the info on the manufacturers.

I'm still trying to verify what companies made which belts. I may put it together in a spreadsheet and post the results as I verify them. But as for the belts, are these all of the types? 9 pocket, 10 pocket, Pistol, Garrison, BAR Gunner, BAR 1st Assistant, BAR 2nd Assistant (this one seems to be a company designation and not really a belt of its own), BAR Bandoleers(I am including this for now but may omit it later), and Medics Belt. As I compile this info, I will make notes on variations. But for now I am just searching for a list of the basic models and any info that can verify them. I am using generic terms instead of military designations for simplicity and it is currently a checklist for what I am searching for. However I want to make this into something more that shows type by manufacturer and want to incorporate variations such as sabre hangers on pistol belts and snaps for mag pouches for the mounted belts. So any and all info is appreciated as I take this on.

Thanks for the help,

Mike M.

Don't forget the 1917 Chauchat Gunners belt and the 1917 Enlisted Men's Garrison Belt

Was the Chauchat belt ever issued in very much quantity? I would love to get my hands on one but they appear to be a bit pricey for my tastes. But I will include it on my spreadsheet. Thanks for the heads up.

Mike

Here is one that I'm having trouble finding. Did Russell make a 9 pocket mounted ammo belt with lift the dot fasteners?

Thanks,

Mike

Here is one that I'm having trouble finding. Did Russell make a 9 pocket mounted ammo belt with lift the dot fasteners?

Thanks,

Mike

First off I'm not sure if its a mounted or dismounted belt (does that even apply with belts?) but my Russell belt is a 9 pocket but the fasteners are the ones with the dot or dimple and nothing else. I hoped that somewhat answered your question but whether its a mounted, I have no idea.

First off I'm not sure if its a mounted or dismounted belt (does that even apply with belts?) but my Russell belt is a 9 pocket but the fasteners are the ones with the dot or dimple and nothing else. I hoped that somewhat answered your question but whether its a mounted, I have no idea.

The terms mounted and dismounted are terms that are used like 9 pocket and 10 pocket. You could say M1914 or M1917 but someone may not know what you are talking about. I use these instead just to keep it simple. But I do think that they apply to ammo belts in regards to their use. The mounted or 9 pocket belts were issued to mounted troops. However if you get deeper into it you will see they were issued to NCO's as well since some were issued side arms. And dismounted belts were issued primarily to infantry who were less likely to carry a sidearm.

Do you have a pic that you could post here? It would be greatly appreciated since I cannot find one on the Internet.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

Russell and Mills both made the nine pocket model 1914 cavalry belt.  These are both the woven type belts. 

Bob

Thanks Bob. I've looked everywhere for a Russell 9 pocket belt but can't find one at all. I am aware of the Mills since I have one that was modified into a 10 pocket, but even the unmodified ones have elusive to me.

Thanks as always,

Mike.

Thanks Bob. You have some really nice examples there. I have to ask, what is your white whale of ammo belts? It looks like you have them all.

Mike

wish I had the wall space to display my belts. My records show I have one LCC 9 pocket but haven't found it yet. I guess their pretty rare

Mike I am missing a couple the model 1909 cavalry unmodified the Model 1910 mounted first pattern and the 1912 Cavalry belts with Eagle snaps. Sooner or later I will find them. Hey Christmas is just around the corner if anyone wants to wrap one up and say its from Santa I've been good ;)

Cav belts I do have. I have no pics of the BAR belts.

post-3384-0-18483000-1353687149.jpg