TYPE A-8 Flight Trousers, Pants, Question, Are they issue?

ed101

Hi, I picked up these at an estate sale. They are in very fine condition and appear to have not been worn. Trying to do research and all I can find is a black labeled Eddie Bauer issued pant that is slightly but significantly different. They are marked "Large" with an ink stamp on the bottom right of the label. Not readily seen in the photo. I can not find any other labels or markings. Any ideas?

Picture_1428.jpg
upload a picture

Picture_1429.jpg
photo hosting sites

Picture_1430.jpg
take screen shot

Picture_1433.jpg
windows 7 screenshot

Picture_1432.jpg
free image hosting

Yeah, I looked through Sweetings book and could not find a reference to them. The tag looks very different than what I would expect to see. I can't really find any other info on them....

Usually when the word "Type" is used at the end of the description, it's indicative of a civilian variant. Military nomenclature invariably puts "Type" first, as in "Type A2" etc.

If you all remember a while ago we saw the B10 that was identified as a civilian made piece ,as Ian has said ,

i think i have seen a B9 parka with exactly the same type of label, i think it is in the "GEAR UP" book ???

The fact that these have a knitted ankle makes me wonder , but could have been a user modification ??? :wacko:

might be worth checking ?? i know my A8 pants have the "Eddie Baur " black gold label

LB

I was suspicious of these because of the lack of labeling. Must be something made for hunters or snowmobilers. Thank all for the input!!!

Maybe for hunters ?? but i think maybe too early for snowmobilers :blink: im no expert on these but they could be a pair that were made alongside the original pants that were issued to the USAAF, and then sold on to the civilian market hence the lack of "proper label"

how many times have we seen this on here and that always seems to be the logical explanation

just my 2bits worth

LB

Until fairly recently I owned a "B-9 Type" parka. Not USGI, but of equal quality and of similar design to the original. These quilted pants would have matched it pretty well...might even have been a twosome?

Johan Willaert

i think i have seen a B9 parka with exactly the same type of label, i think it is in the "GEAR UP" book ???

The gold on black label in the B9 Parka in the Gear Up book says:

B-9

PARKA

Also not consistent with standard gold on black USAAF labels of WW2