Mystery ribbons

Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann

I just got a USMC Iwo Jima group with two ribbons that have me stumped. The one on the left has a dark green center with two yellow-gold stripes then two dark green almost black stripes and then a thin black edge. It has a metal star mounted in the center. This ribbon is on a bar next to (right side) of the Marine Presiential Unit Citation ribbon. The original owner was in the USMC 1943-1946. Can anyone id. this ribbon? The next ribbon is the Philippine Liberation ribbon but it has three silver stars mounted on the ribbon. Did this medal have battle or campaign stars? I should add that his Pacific Campaign medal only has two stars on his ribbon bar. Thanks, Fred

post-591-1209075591.jpg

One on the right is Phillipean Liberation Medal. I can't think of the other one right off someone else will know.

Fred, I think that is a Navy Unit Commendation with the red stripes faded out. I don't think 3 stars were ever authorized for the Phil. Liberation but who knows. The Phil Lib is fairly rare for Marines as their units in the islands were either aviation or shipboard. Hope this helps, Mark

...The next ribbon is the Philippine Liberation ribbon but it has three silver stars mounted on the ribbon. Did this medal have battle or campaign stars?

Interesting Question, Fred. Here's what the U.S. Army has to say about Philippine Liberation Ribbon criteria, including bronze service stars (source: AR 600-8-22, 11 Dec. 2006):

9–8. Philippine Liberation Ribbon

The Philippine Liberation Ribbon is authorized by DA Circular 59, 8 March 1948.

a. Requirements. Awarded for service in the liberation of the Philippines from 17 October 1944 to 3 September

1945, under any of the following conditions:

(1) Participated in the initial landing operations on Leyte or adjoining islands from 17 October 1944 to 20 October

1944. An individual will be considered as having participated in such operations if he landed on Leyte or adjoining

islands, was on a ship in Philippine waters, or was a crewmember of an airplane which flew over Philippine territory

during the period.

(2) Participated in any engagement against the enemy during the campaign on Leyte and adjoining islands. An

individual will be considered as having participated in combat if he or she meets any of the conditions set forth in

paragraph 9–7a(2) through (4).

(3) Participated in any engagement against the enemy on islands other than those included in (2) above. An

individual will be considered as having participated in combat if he or she meets any of the conditions set forth in

paragraph 9–7 a(2) through (4).

(4) Served in the Philippine Islands or on ships in Philippine waters for not less than 30 days during the period.

b. Bronze service stars. An individual who meets more than one of the conditions set forth in a, above is authorized

to wear a bronze service star on the ribbon for each additional condition under which he or she qualifies other than that under which he or she is eligible for the initial award of the ribbon.

Note: My father was discharged September 28, 1945, and his ROS includes "Philippine Liberation Ribbon With 1 Bronze Star" so the Army was handing these out long before 1948.

Note: Also found on Internet (link here). The Philippine Liberation Medal was originally established as a ribbon by Army Headquarters, Commonwealth of the Philippines, General Order Number 6, of December 20, 1944. Establishment of the medal to accompany the ribbon was announced by Army Headquarters on July 22, 1945.

Fred Borgmann

Thanks Wailuna and TBM, Thanks to you I now know that the group is probably complete. The original owner had a 37 year career in law enforcement after the war and was the Milwaukee County Sheriff in the early 1980's.

Interestingly as far as I know he did not have a Good Conduct Medal. Fred