Any Clues On This Knife?

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

Just picked this up. It came with some ww2 USMC stuff including a Kabar. Is this a theater made knife or one of those custom/private purchase bowie knives made by a specific individual? Any thoughts? No names, no markings anywhere. Thanks ABN

post-1800-0-80177900-1381759938.jpg

Some times the Corpsman bolos were re-worked into bowies like this.

Also seen some of the Austrailian made knives in this pattern or similiar to it.

Should add if it was one of the air crew type survival bowies(like the Collins,Kinfolks,Case etc) the brass guard is gone and the grips were re-done.I would think on a US model you would see the makers mark or traces of it even if polished out.

Many of the Austrailian made copies had Aluminum handles but some had wood as well.

Airborne-Hunter- How long is the blade? It looks like one of the "Western" Bowies knives made in the 60s-70s, with the guard removed, and a replaced handle. SKIP

Skip, that was my first impression too. But as I looked at it I no-longer think so.

The blade profile is wrong back at the convergence with the handle. Here a picture which will show it.

WesternBowieg.jpg

This example is an early blade marked example. Around 1968 Western switched the stampings to the guard and stayed with that into the mid 70's.

Maybe the knife was a later model? Not sure. But, I'm still leaning towards a Western. Could have changed the blade some when they stopped stamping the name. I'm no expert on Western Bowies. SKIP

A lot were Vietnam era. I know 5th Special Forces Group had presentation models they gave out. They sold them on Ft Bragg at the old Smoke Bomb Hill Book Store in the early 70s. But, I can't say I actually knew anyone who carried one in Vietnam, nor do I recall any photos. My guess, a lot were carried, SKIP

Thanks for the info SKIPH, I have seen one that was carried in Vietnam by a Security Policeman. I think the one I have was made in the mid 70's. Thanks, Eric

file_zpsdd0ca91f.jpgfile_zps5afccdd0.jpgfile_zps7ad744d6.jpg

The first two pictures are from Frank's photo archive. The last one is from a friends personal collection while in country.

These knives were private purchase items in almost all cases. They were usually no farther away than the PX in many cases, including the PX at Ft. Polk where the Army located "Tigerland".

Skip, if the knife in the OP is a Western somebody put it to a grinder. I've got seven examples, (some of them are duplicates), of the W49 that cover the time frame of 64 to at least 72. I've studied the variations from 64 to 2006 when Camillus shut down. The blade profile doesn't show much variation through out production from Western, Western/Coleman, or Camillus.

Ozarkian, if you can provide pictures of the Western you referred to above, complete with the marking, I think I can at least ball park the time of production.

I had one years ago that I got from a buddy in the mid-70s w/ a broken handle. I put a handle on it, but never carried it. Gave it to my team leader when I was in 7th SFGA. He loved it. I stuck to my MK2. SKIP

• 4 months later...

Hi all. Just came across this thread. I have a near identical knife(with the guard) that also came with other items. I don't think these are Western W49s. The ricasso shape is very different. The knife has no markings appears chrome plated(there are small chips in the chrome that didn't show up in the pics) and the handle is varnished. I initially thought it was a Western knock off but after reading this I'm not so sure. Thoughts would be appreciated.

post-91916-0-40939600-1392467428.jpg

Here is a comparison to the Western W49. The one pictured is marked H which I think puts it in the mid '80s range. I've seen older/newer ones and the blade profile shows very little variance.

post-91916-0-65202800-1392467857.jpg