DR letters on Armor Patch...?

flyer333555

Jim/Guys this may seem a dumb question but what was the function of the DR and were the DR guys rotated through regular armour divisions later in the war.

Regards

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

In a nutshell, this is how it was explained to me. If I have this wrong, please chime in.

The Demonstration Regiment was formed in January 1942. The Demonstration Regiment was a scaled down Armored Division that contained all of the elements of an Armored Division. The purpose of the Demonstration Regiment was to present tactical, maintenance, and logistical demonstrations. They also provided troops, material, and vehicles as needed for student training. In May 1944 the DR and TO&E units assigned to the Armor School were combined into School Troops, Armor School, with the same mission as the old DR.

• 11 months later...

Thought I would add on to this thread with a photo of the DR patch in use.

Somewhere I have the local newspaper article about this, can't find it right now but I think it was in the early fall of 1944. Two tanks, an M2 and M3 came to Parkersburg WV (my home town) and gave a demonstration at the City Park. Mostly just to show support I believe for a War Bond drive. The tanks were driven around, knocked over a couple of trees and generally just let people up close to see them.

They had a small parade down Market Street and posed for photos in front of a local hotel. This photo is from that event. The upper is the overall view, the lower is a closeup of the right side of the photo, showing the DR patch over the left pocket. It is also interesting to note that the tank crewmen are carrying M1917 revolvers.

post-66-0-87780900-1412085673.jpg

post-66-0-97005500-1412085694.jpg