United Confederate Reunion Police badge

Keith

Picked this relic up today. It is a POLICE BADGE from the UNITED CONFEDERATE VETERANS reunion. I guess they needed a police presence to keep thousands of Vets under control. I don't know if the same Vet served at each reunion as a Policeman or if each reunion they formed a new police force. If anyone has more information please post. The pin is broken off from the back of the badge and it is also hallmarked on the back. I like it.

post-2830-0-48295900-1381690136.jpgpost-2830-0-31531300-1381690363.jpg

Very cool, I wonder if the 29 is for the 1929 UCV reunion in North Carolina. Thanks, Eric

I had not thought of that. I will research that reunion. I just assumed the number was the policeman's number. keith

Neat badge! Can we see an overall shot of the back Keith? I would like to see how the pin was attached.

I see that Schwaab Stamp & Seal Co. operated under this company name from 1888 until 1973.

post-2830-0-50747300-1381702658.jpgSure Sarge. The badge is orientated so that the top is at the top so the pin was verical to the badge. It appears to have been soldered originally full length and then a repair was tried which left the large glob of solder. keith

From my research I find that the presence of a UCV Police force may have been needed at some point in their history!.

Besides the invitations to partake freely of anything in
the city, there often was a sly reference to the drinking
habits of some of the old warriors. Governor James B.
??? of Tennessee in greeting the veterans at Nashville
In 1904 said: "I welcome you to the grand old hospitable
State of Tennessee. I welcome you to the warmth of her
sunshine, and if that a'int warm enough, I welcome you
In some of her moonshine." Frasier was followed by the
Mayor who announced the virtual suspension of the law
tin far as veterans were concerned. He said that his police
force had been instructed to deal gently with "those who
dill by the wayside under sun or other stroke."

Thanks for the photo of the back Keith. The earlier police badges often had this type of pin attachment. The missing pin was similar to a big safety pin with one side simply soldered to the badge. Later badges had pins with a hinge block and catch that were soldered to the back.