WW2 Named USMC Cover

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Greetings everybody.

I've had this cover for a few years now. I'm not too familiar with what type it is but believe it is the ww2 pattern. It has a name stenciled on the side of J C Park. (I threw the cover on a steel pot w/liner I've had.

Today I did some looking around on ancestry.com and found a J C Park who was in the 1st Marine Division 11th Marines(artillery) . This veteran fought on Okinawa. I could not find any other possibilities of a marine with these initials. Are there any marine researchers who could shed some light on the pattern cover and if its possible to pin this stencil name to this specific marine?

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Regards,Michael Sweeney

001_zps086bbf79.jpg

007_zps0af3a8d6.jpg

004_zpsef448b63.jpg

006_zps7003ec4b.jpg

Really nice cover you have there... I also like how the straps on that helmet have the partial ASN stenciled on them. Really hard to come by...

Cheers

Howdy, Mike - This is a second pattern camo cover, identifiable by the 'buttonhole' slits (made to insert foliage, although this was never done). They were used by the Marines from about 1944 through the Korean war. On Iwo and Okinawa they were generally worn brown side out. Sometimes you see them with an EGA stenciled on the front (I'm not sure what the deal is with the stencils). The person to ask would be Alec Tulkoff, who I believe is a moderator here on the forum - Chris

That's a very nice cover. It's actually a 3rd pattern cover since it has foliage slits on the outside and on the inside flaps. You have a great WW2 USMC cover their.