Normandy 2014: 70th Anniversary

Johan Willaert

• 4 weeks later...
memphis_belle

This will be the ideal spot/time for a USMF meet!!!!

I hope to meet some of you there!

I'll be in Normandy from June 2 to 9. On Saturday I'm taking part in the Carentan Liberty March. Anyone else?

Otherwise, I bet that everyone will show up on Omaha Beach at 6:30 on June 6 :)

See you there!

Le Garenne 78

Hi,

Since it's on the map, I wanted to ask to all the members of the forum. Who is coming this year?

I have not return to Normandy since 1994 for the 50th anniversary.

Regards

Charles

Johan Willaert

Center of Ste Mere Eglise will be closed to all traffic from Thursday 5th june at 1900Hr till Monday 9th June at 0800Hr...

Parking lots will be opened around the village, within about 3/4 mile from the main square... Parking fee 5Euro/day

Gliderpilot

Hello,

For those who are willing to come to Normandy for the 70th anniversary of D-Day and cant' find a place to stay, here's the deal:

I've booked a small farmhouse for 4 persons in La Haye du Puits, 15 miles away from Sainte-Mère-Eglise and I will stay there from june 1st to june 8th. I'm gonna stay alone there but did book a bigger place than I need in case a WW2 glider pilot would like to come and would have had a problem to find a place to stay (I focus my research on GP's !). It's not 100% sure yet but it seems like I have no veteran I know that is showing up this year. As a consequence, I will have an extra room in the farmhouse. So, if it can help someone, contact me by private message. Now the sad part : as I want to spend a nice week, I prefer to be alone than to be with a SOB. So, for those who will be interested, please be clean, nice and friendly and accept the conditons.

Best regards.

Gliderpilot

Johan Willaert

Isigny expo by French USMF members!

Definitely worth a visit!!

sybksx.jpg

Starts on the 4th June... not 31st May

Collector5516

I know it's very late in the game, but I am considering flying over for the the anniversary. Assuming I am willing to bite the bullet on the expensive plane ticket and can find a place to stay, will I be able to attend the various ceremonies and events. I am guessing many of these are limited to a certain number of people? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2ad82recon

See you all there...my Jeep "CONNIE" aswell as some of us 2nd Armoured In Europe members will be around as 101st A/B troopers doing stuff and some in action dioramas in support of the Carentan march.......see you on the beach..

Regards

Lloyd

Collector5516 there is quite an informative part about visiting Normandy during the 2014 anniversary on the UK Government website.

It states there will be a lot of restrictions around the 6th for most of the Normandy beach area..

https://www.gov.uk/government/world-location-news/travel-advice-for-the-70th-anniversary-of-the-normandy-landings

Collector5516

Thank you for sharing that link Ewart. Unfortunately, it looks like I waited way too long to consider this trip. From what I've read, it seems that I will not be able to get anywhere near the majority of the ceremonies/commemorations.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...