Normandy 2014: 70th Anniversary

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Yes, I know it's still early but most of us who plan on attending are eagerly awaiting June 2014 and have booked lodging many months or even a year ago... No doubt the last commemoration with veterans present, it will be huge...

Literaly everyone I know with an interest in US WW2 history will be there!

So this topic is for schedules of events and general information about the D-Day landing 2014 commemorations...

No doubt the subject of a USMF get-together will be brought up again, but past commemorations have shown it is extrememy difficult to get everyone in the same spot at the same time... Normandy is huge and the agenda will be full...

But we can try!!

I will see you on the beach!!

Johan

Johan Willaert

Here's a list of planned events in the Utah-Beach/Ste Mere Eglise area... Always very busy there...

Friday May 30 & Saturday May 31
*Starting at 10:30 PM - Sound and Light Show at the Manoir de la Hougue at Orglandes. Presentation based on the theme of the German occupation and the liberation by the Allied troops, with special homage given to Pierre Devouassoud and Magloire Dorange - resistance fighters originally from Orglandes and shot to death at Montebourg.
*11 PM - 100 actors in costumes and vehicles from the WW2 time period
*12 AM - Fireworks & music

Saturday May 31
*10 AM - 5 PM : March for International Peace (around 20 kms) Departure from Utah Beach and arrival at Sainte Mère Eglise

Sunday June 1
*All day long - Military Antique Show at Picauville

Wednesday June 4
All day long - Military Show at Sainte Mère Eglise

Thursday June 5
9 AM to 5 PM - Military Show at Sainte Marie du Mont
6 PM - Ceremony at the Monument Signal at Sainte Mère Eglise
7 PM - Ceremony at Utah Beach (to be confirmed)
9 PM & 11 PM - Parachute jump at the Holdy Battery and dramatized visit of the Holdy Battery
10:45-11 PM - Fireworks at Utah Beach

Friday June 6
Landing on Utah Beach of a landing craft "PA-34" (time to be determined according to tide)
9 AM - IVY March at Sainte Marie du Mont
11 AM - Ceremony at the USN Angelo Chatas Monument
2 PM - Arrival of Ivy March
2:30 PM - Welcoming of veterans at Sainte Marie du Mont (to be confirmed)
4:30 PM - Large parade with 1000 to 1500 musicians at Sainte Mère Eglise (to be confirmed)
7:30 PM - Franco-American friendship diner at Picauville
8:30 PM : Peace concert at the church of Sainte Mère Eglise
8:30 PM - Liberation Ball at Sainte Marie du Mont
9 PM & 11 PM - Parachute jump at the Holdy Battery and dramatized visit of the Holdy Battery
Ceremonies at Picauville & Chef du Pont (time yet to be determined)

Saturday June 7
8:30 AM - Departure of the Carentan Liberty March
10 AM to 6 PM - exposition of armored vehicles and repair vehicles at Sainte Marie du Mont
10:30 AM - Inauguration of a new monument at the "Charles De Glopper" site at Amfreville
12 PM - Normandy Day Meal at Sainte Mère Eglise
3 to 4:30 PM - Music & dancing, reconstruction of an exodus and a parade of vehicles at the place de la République in Carentan
4:30 PM - Arrival of the Carentan Liberty march with the reconstruction of the June 23 "Silver Star" ceremony
5 PM - Peace Ceremony at Mile Marker 0 in front of the city hall of Sainte Mère Eglise
6 PM - Live show in the center of Sainte Mère Eglise - "Build peace together" with 39 junior highers from France, the United States and Germany (to be confirmed)
7 PM - Liberty Banquet at the covered market of Sainte Mère Eglise
7:30 PM - Parade with the "Major Girls" at Sainte Marie du Mont
9 PM - Grand Ball of the Liberation at Carentan
23 PM - Fireworks at Sainte Mère Eglise

Sunday June 8
1 PM - International Military Parachute jump at La Fière, followed by an official ceremony with American veteran Fred Morgan receiving the Legion of Honor
10:30 PM - Showing of archival film at Sainte Marie du Mont

Monday June 9
9:30 AM - Inauguration & ceremony of the monument of the rosary at Sainteny / Ceremony at the monument of the Forges at Sainteny / Reception at the city hall of Sainteny

mattsmilitary

Flights are cheaper than I expected out of JFK. If anyone wants to look, check out cheapOair.com on XL Airways France, Found round trip non-stop for like $650!!!

I thinking so hard about going! :)

Johan Willaert

If you are planning on coming over and haven't found a place to stay yet, start looking NOW!

There is hardly a bed left that hasn't been spoken for....

You may have to move inland which will result in long travels to and from the sites...

I took an option for the chamber at the B&B for June 2014 almost 5 years ago, when I was there for the 65th commemoration of the Landings. It isn't something to miss!

Every year I go to this website below, to find a good program to follow...:

http://www.dday-overlord.com/eng/commemorations_normandy_2014_program.htm

My guess is that all B&B's and hotels in the region are full for that period. The B&B where we stay, started to fill in the names of the guests in June 2012. From then on the owner had to refuse guests every week. It will be very difficult to find a place...

Great topic!!

Hans

• 3 months later...
Johan thank you ^_^
You are welcome to the exhibition
!!!

Exhibition "Men of D-Day"

The 6th of June 2014 we will be commemorating the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy. You will be able to discover unique and historical objects from before and during the D-Day landings from passionate collectioners of this era. Including Allied land army, navy and airforces as well as the Axis who occupied. Come and discover the of D-Day who fought and fell on the Normandy beaches during the first hours of the most mythic day of the second world war « D-Day »

What'll we do now that the "C-47" cafe is no more?!

They stopped with their business?? And always crowded. That's a pity... Good coffee, great sandwiches... That really was a place to relax in Ste-Mère-Eglise.

• 3 weeks later...