AEF Service Uniform Group, 34th Div. 126 F.A., J.J. Mikesell

aussie digger

aussie digger

Hi all,

I have a interest in 34th ID items and picked up this group on ebay. I have been trying to research this on here where it is said that the only unit to wear the reversed patch was the 109th Ammunition Train but this group seems to be correct and is marked to a member of Battery F, 126th Field Artillery.

Is anyone able to help with the service stripes? I understand that the 2 silver stripes represent 12 months stateside service and the gold being 6 months overseas service. Would the blue stripe for less than 6 months overseas service just be something the veteran elected to leave on against regs?

Also any advice to researching this veteran would be greatly appreciated.

Jess J Mikesell

Battery F, 126th Field Artillery

No 117.

ww1_3410.jpg

Here is the information I found about your veteran.

California, Death Index, 1940-1997 Birth, Marriage & Death Name: Jess J Mikesell Birth: 20 Sep 1895 Death: 7 Apr 1968 - Los Angeles Residence: Walnut Creek

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=94397424&PIpi=78378495

This is a link to his grave that has his WWI Service and his original home state Iowa you should be able to cut and paste a larger and clearer photo from that site.

John

PS The solider must have added the extra blue chevron after he was discharged and away from any major military post. Though this is the first uniform that I have seen silver chevrons on it is also different in that they have the gold for overseas as well. I always thought you wore one or the other not a combination of gold and silver. But it was on the uniform and I do not think anyone other than the vet would alter the uniform. What can I say hope springs eternal.

post-5224-0-50822400-1382055465.jpg

aussie digger

Thank you very much for your help! I am glad to see the soldier was from Iowa (my new home state).

With the service stripes, looking at the stitching I think the blue chevron may have been on first then he added the gold and silver stripes later on.

Actually I think it is the other way around. The corporal stripes have the same color and switching style as the blue chevron while the SSI and the silver and gold section have the same color stitching. The fact that there are Artillery PFC circle with the group I would think that he was promoted close to getting out. Just my view any how very nice group and glad I was able to help out.

John

aussie digger

Thank you very much! Looking at it closely you are correct. Also out of interest I picked up another small 126th FA insignia/paper lot that the family member also had a reversed 34th SSI that they wanted to keep.

Cheers

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Check at the "Gold Star" Musuem at Camp Dodge, they have card file on Iowa WWI veterans and can pull it for you, I've handled a lot of 34th ID blouses over the years,and the reversed color patch is for the 109th trains. The service stripes are a mystery to me, but please try the files at Cp Dodge and see what they have for service. A great set none the less and the reversed 34th is one tough patch to locate outside the lower half of the state of Iowa.

aussie digger

Thank you for the help. I will try to head into Camp Dodge the next couple of weeks.

Also out of interest here is the WW1 part of the other group I mentioned. There was supposedly a reversed 34th with this group that the family wanted to keep.

Thanks

Jason

126th_10.jpg