Found a Survival Vest at the local Saturday morning church flea market

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I have never really found anything of interest at this particular church flea market, but my luck changed today. I always go because it is an old school church flea market with no dealers set up and all the items are donated by the church members themselves. So I always go because you never know. I walked in and walked right into this USAF 1975 dated SRU-21/P Survival Vest. The vest is in mint shape with the holster looking as if it was made yesterday. The only thing wrong with it is that one of the zippered pouches has been removed from the front. Luckily they did no damage while removing it and I guess I will have to go on a mission to find a replacement pouch. But overall I guess I did alright investing in a $3 hunting vest.

post-1412-0-39359800-1381588509.jpgpost-1412-0-60154800-1381588520.jpg

If I go to my local church sale here in the UK I would probably come home with some cakes / cookies/ home-crafts and second hand books etc. In the US you come home with militaria?! I wish!

Manchu Warrior

If I go to my local church sale here in the UK I would probably come home with some cakes / cookies/ home-crafts and second hand books etc. In the US you come home with militaria?! I wish!

Honestly, It was the first time I purchased any military related items at a church flea market since I purchased a WWII Navy Pea Coat some ten years ago or so. I also purchased two nice and clean Vietnam era canteens for 50 cents each and and a new Army ACU cap for 10 cents. But in hopes that it makes you feel better I did eat a sausage and egg biscuit while I was there and it was actually rather tasty.

Honestly, It was the first time I purchased any military related items at a church flea market since I purchased a WWII Navy Pea Coat some ten years ago or so. I also purchased two nice and clean Vietnam era canteens for 50 cents each and and a new Army ACU cap for 10 cents. But in hopes that it makes you feel better I did eat a sausage and egg biscuit while I was there and it was actually rather tasty.

Fair enough! ;)

Here is what Id suggest doing with that vest:

Commonly on ebay you will see the long radio pocket for the later SRU-21 vests used for the PRC-90 radio. Id get one of those, then carefully remove the small square survival kit zippered pocket on the lower left, and remove the short horizontal Velcro pocket right above it that was used for the fishing gill net (was deleted on later vests). Either sew or have someone sew the PRC-90 pocket in the spot those 2 pockets were removed, and then sew or have someone sew the zippered survival kit pocket on the lower right side of the vest where the RT-10 radio pocket has already been removed/missing. That would bring it up to a mid to late 80s spec for a AF or Army survival vest.

Its cool it already has the .38 holster sewn on and was even done far enough back where you could have the leather survival knife sheath sewn/attached in front of it as per the recommended location in the TM.

Manchu Warrior

Here is what Id suggest doing with that vest:

Commonly on ebay you will see the long radio pocket for the later SRU-21 vests used for the PRC-90 radio. Id get one of those, then carefully remove the small square survival kit zippered pocket on the lower left, and remove the short horizontal Velcro pocket right above it that was used for the fishing gill net (was deleted on later vests). Either sew or have someone sew the PRC-90 pocket in the spot those 2 pockets were removed, and then sew or have someone sew the zippered survival kit pocket on the lower right side of the vest where the RT-10 radio pocket has already been removed/missing. That would bring it up to a mid to late 80s spec for a AF or Army survival vest.

Its cool it already has the .38 holster sewn on and was even done far enough back where you could have the leather survival knife sheath sewn/attached in front of it as per the recommended location in the TM

The vest is hanging on the closet door with my other recent acquisitions. And sooner or later it will be moved and eventually get buried in the pile not be seen by human eyes for who knows how long. But I do appreciate the ideas.