Squadron patch ID please

WorldWarPatches

Johnny Signor

The old WW2 version of this patch was the 305th Fighter Squadron that was with the 338th Fighter Group/3rd AAF stateside , I think your posted patch represents this squadron

Johnny Signor

If your patch is of a felt/cloth combo it's most likely the WW2 unit and not the latter 170th, also note the latter had a different color border plus it carried the 170th title, so again I think yours is WW2

WorldWarPatches

Thanks for the help. Owner says G Paw was a member of the 305th during WW 2 but stayed in FL and got out in 1945. The 305th Fighter was a training unit from 1942 to 1944 then reconstituted and redesignated the 170th in 1946. I can't find anything on a 305th patch. I'm wondering if this is an original undocumented 305th. I'm having the owner look for G Paw's service records.

WorldWarPatches

The old WW2 version of this patch was the 305th Fighter Squadron that was with the 338th Fighter Group/3rd AAF stateside , I think your posted patch represents this squadron

(*_*) didn't read this one.......

Johnny Signor

I think it may be in the old National Geographic issues, not sure which one, it would be a hard patch to find first of all, plus it being a stateside unit they usually didn't get much photographic coverage unless you can find old photos from the veteran or a unit book/album.................................

I do believe your patch is WW2 made .

My original ID was made using the book Combat Sqdns of WWII and a unit history for the 170th TFS on the web. According to the book, the 305th had no emblem so I went with the 170th FS which activated in 1946.

In light of the new information, G Paw living in Fla and getting out in 1945, the patch may well be a 305th FS. The 305th spent all their time in the state of Florida. A larger picture of the patch, front and back sure would go a long way in trying to determine that. Also the true size of it, 4 inch, 5 inch, etc.

Johnny Signor

I think this is of a WW2 era flight suit , not later , they may have worn the patch into the latter era , but the designation changed in 46 to the 170th and it appears all the 170th patches carried their unit number on them, the posted flight suit and your patch do not have this , so again I'm leaning towards the 305th and WW2.