WW1 Victory: CAMBRAI, SOMME DEFENSIVE, LYS,

kanemono

Here is a WW1 Victory Medal that is part of a large group to an officer. I will post the group when I get all of the research.

Dick

post-9487-0-63344500-1381516896.jpg

According to the Gleim reprint of campaign credits earned by the units of the AEF (pub. 8A, 1982), no single unit qualified for the Cambrai, Somme Def. & Lys Victory clasps. However, the 11th Engineers rated the Cambrai & Lys clasps, and the 12th Engineers earned the Cambrai & Somme Def. clasps. Lastly, the 28th Pursuit Squadron of the 3rd Pursuit Group received the Somme Def. & Lys credits. The recipient of this medal, if real, must have floated between two of these three units.

According to the Gleim reprint of campaign credits earned by the units of the AEF (pub. 8A, 1982), no single unit qualified for the Cambrai, Somme Def. & Lys Victory clasps. However, the 11th Engineers rated the Cambrai & Lys clasps, and the 12th Engineers earned the Cambrai & Somme Def. clasps. Lastly, the 28th Pursuit Squadron of the 3rd Pursuit Group received the Somme Def. & Lys credits. The recipient of this medal, if real, must have floated between two of these three units.

Or maybe, he was in the Motor Transportation Corps or American Field Service?

Ok, that should be a very interesting research project. All accounts of the doctors during the period of the Vic medal I have seen are interesting.

That's some combination of bars! Looking forward o see what the story behind the officer is. Beautiful medal!

Alex

Thank you all for your interest. I have sent for information on the Doctor to the Pennsylvania State Archives. I already have quite a bit of information on him but I have found that the Pennsylvania the State Archives is a goldmine for information on WW1 Veterans. I have a copy of the book The Lost Legion by Dr. W.A.R. Chapin in which the Doctor is listed as having received a British MC.

Dick

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the comments, I apologize for not sharing the rest of the group which includes the the British MC but I have spent all of my time working on a book, which, as Dave will tell you takes a huge amount of time.

Dick

Dick that's a beauty. Can't wait to see the rest Pub the group and what your research reveals. You always have some great items to share with the forum