Would a Marksman Qualified Sailor wear a MM Badge/Patch/Ribbon?

uplandmod

I recently received the records to one of my navy jumpers IDed to a sailor was on the USS Iowa during WWII.

Interesting enough, and a first for me, is that he is a qualified rifle Marksman.

Would he wear a badge/ribbon/striker patch of some sort on his jumper that indicated that he is a Marksman?

I remember in one of my books about an Iwo Corpsman, he states he receive a cuff patch indicating that he was a marksman after he qualified. The Marines actually wanted him to transfer over but he decided to stay with the Navy, who then transferred him over to the Marines when he became a Corpsman.

All help greatly appreciated!

Leonardo

teufelhunde.ret

.... that he is a qualified rifle Marksman.

He would have been eligible to wear the Navy Marksman Ribbon, which came into service in 1920?

I think you may be confusing this with the Expert Medal. The Marksman, the lowest grade, wore a square with a circle in it on the lower sleeve.

teufelhunde.ret

I think you may be confusing this with the Expert Medal. The Marksman, the lowest grade, wore a square with a circle in it on the lower sleeve.

The U.S. Navy has issued two marksmanship ribbons: the Navy Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon and Navy Rifle Marksmanship Ribbon, since 1920. The pistol ribbon is currently awarded for qualification on the Beretta 9mm pistol, while the rifle ribbon is currently awarded for qualification on the M14 and M16 assault rifle variants.[1]

The Navy issues the marksmanship ribbon in three levels — that of Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert. The basic ribbon is awarded for the Marksman level while the specific Marksmanship Device is awarded for qualification as a Sharpshooter or Expert. Those receiving an Expert qualification receive the Marksmanship Medal, in addition to the Marksmanship Ribbon.[1]

Between 1942 and 1960, the Navy also issued ribbons known as the Distinguished Marksmanship Ribbons.[2] These awards were declared obsolete by 1965.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marksmanship_Ribbon

The marksman Ribbon with the three thin green stripes should be added when I put his ribbon bar together?

This was a very pleasant surprise!

Thanks!

LF

The US Navy Uniform Regulations - 1941 do not make any reference to a badge, patch, or ribbon worn for the "Marksman" qualification level.

Chapter 8 - Sleeve And Cuff Markings - All Enlisted Men - lists in paragraph 8-7 "Distinguishing Marks", marks for "Expert rifleman", Expert pistol shot", and "Rifle Sharpshooter".

They are shown in Plate 69 -

post-8013-0-97526200-1381547776.jpg

Chapter 15 - Decorations, Medals, Badges, and Ribbons - paragraph 15-4 "Order of Arrangement - Medals, Badges, and Ribbons" does not reference any award for a "Marksman".

For what it's worth, found this information on the website for “Foxhall Medals” regarding the redesignation of the "Expert Rifleman Medal" ribbon:

ESTABLISHING AUTHORITY

The Rifle Marksmanship ribbon was established on October 14, 1969, by Secretary of the Navy John H. Chafee when he re-designated the ribbon to the Expert Rifleman Medal to permit marksman and sharpshooters to wear the ribbon for qualifying below the expert level. (emphasis added)

EFFECTIVE DATES

The Rifle Marksmanship ribbon has been in effect since October 14, 1969.

CRITERIA

The Rifle Marksmanship ribbon is worn for scoring at the marksman, sharpshooter or expert level of qualification on a prescribed course of fire for the rifle.

ORDER OF PRECEDENCE

The Rifle Marksmanship ribbon is worn after the Distinguished Marksman and Pistol Shot ribbon and before the Pistol Marksmanship ribbon.

DEVICES

Qualification at the marksman level entitles the individual to wear the ribbon without device.

Qualification at the sharpshooter level is indicated by a silver letter "S"

Qualification at the Expert level is indicated by a silver "E" on the ribbon.

Larry

Larry,

The "sleeve mark" is just a patch by another name isn't it?

So now I'm officially confused why would one wear a ribbon and another a sleeve mark when they both seem to represent the same qualification.

Thank you!

LF

LF,

Yes, the distinguishing mark would be a patch.

I don't have an answer for the ribbon or patch question. As I read the regulations, it seems to me that an "Expert" could wear the ribbon or the distinguishing mark.

Here is a link to the 1941 regs so you can check out the language used.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23163-1941-us-navy-uniform-regulations/?hl=%2B1941+%2Bnavy+%2Buniform

Larry