Named / ID'd Helmet Set of WWII Marine PFC Cheshier. 1942 to 1945 Guadalcanal, Saipan & Tinian.

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

This is one I can check off the bucket list – finally!!

This is an un-messed with WWII Named and ID’d USMC helmet set. I am the 3rd Care taker in the chain of custody of this great helmet set, starting direct from the Vet himself.

All 3 pieces of this helmet set are USMC Name stamped to the vet. Cover, shell and liner. Early Fixed Loop Shell with raised bar brass buckle, Liner Westinghouse with OD Green A washers and first pattern USMC cover, no slits and no EGA stamp.

The Marine:

PFC Robert C. Cheshier (went by Bob)

Born Jan 4th, 1926

Died July 16th, 2005

Home Town – Monticello, Arkansas

Enlisted in the Marine Corps June 4th 1942

Honorably Discharged – Nov 15th 1945

Combat Service; Guadalcanal, Saipan and Tinian

I have his entire Service record and if I’m following it correctly he served in the following units:

• Co, F, 18th Marines, Camp Elliott
  • Co. F, 2nd Pioneer Bn. 18th Marines, 2nd Marine Div.
  • Co. C, 2nd Pioneer Bn. 2nd Mar. Div.
  • Co. E, 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Div. FMF
  • Cas Co. 2nd Mar Div
  • Co. A. 1st Bn 2nd Marines, 2nd Mar Div.
  • HQ Co. 1st BN, 2nd Marines, 2nd Mar Div.

Then it appears after the battle of Tinian he was infected with malaria and a bad rash which sent him to Casual Co. and Navy hospitals eventually discharging him 15 Nov 1945.

PFC Cheshier Enlisted at 17 years old, at only 5’4” tall and from what I can tell, he was a bit of a hell raiser, with 3 disciplinary actions noted. One for striking an officer, One for leaving his post without being properly relieved (Stateside) and one for Awol, while at the Casualty Co.

He started out as Engineer in 1942, then re-designated a rifleman on 23 September 1943, then a supply clerk in March of 44.

Plenty of pictures and scans to follow.

Thanks
Troy

post-33000-0-64402900-1381480036.jpg post-33000-0-51580900-1381480060.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

From here I will try my best to scan and post some of his records. The next 3 pics will be of his deployment and combat history listed in his record book.

post-33000-0-94214400-1381480765.jpg

post-33000-0-90042300-1381480842.jpg

Troy,

What an outstanding helmet. :D I love it. Great marked cover and shell. This will add to the debate over when the "First Pattern" cover appeared in theatre.

Well done on adding this fantastic example to your collection.

Rich

Excellent helmet ... it's not so easy to find an identified USMC set, there you have it B)

Thanks for sharing ... and making us a little jealous :D

Dang Troy,

That's a real nice set you have there! Very cool, identified helmet... Love how everything matches, coming straight from the vet.

Congrats!

Ken

Screamingeagles101

Great helmet ! It's great that you know who wore it, where it's been. Only if it could talk !

Again fantastic helmet !

Burning Hazard

Really awesome set, if it could only talk...

I'm not knowledgable in USMC items, but is it true that all their helmets and equipment was stamped/stenciled with the marine's name? I have seen M1 helmets that have names stamped/stenciled on the outside and at odd angles too, made me wonder if they took that into combat as well?

Cheers

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks for all the great comments guys, I appreciate it.

Troy,

What an outstanding helmet. :D I love it. Great marked cover and shell. This will add to the debate over when the "First Pattern" cover appeared in theatre.

Well done on adding this fantastic example to your collection.

Rich

Rich, I guess so, but ya know there is really no way to know when the helmet cover was issued to him? Before or after he deployed? I did read an entry in his record book about some field gear being issued to him, Pack, M1 Rifle Ser. # 1570389, then "New type pack & mess equipment"? Interesting they didn't use the actual nomenclature for the "new type pack".

post-33000-0-43754900-1381506928.jpg

Is it safe to say you've been on a roll lately Troy? Very very nice!

Well they same things come in 3's, so that should be it for a while!!

Now that's what I call a well marked helmet! Great score Troy!

Thanks Ian, I was very glad to see it all stamped, but then again, you give a bored Marine a rubber marking stamp and some ink??

Really awesome set, if it could only talk...

I'm not knowledgable in USMC items, but is it true that all their helmets and equipment was stamped/stenciled with the marine's name? I have seen M1 helmets that have names stamped/stenciled on the outside and at odd angles too, made me wonder if they took that into combat as well?

Cheers

I believe Marines then and still today as part of you original issue in boot camp is a marking kit. You make your name out with the rubber letters provided and use it with the issued ink pad. I still have mine from the 80's, but the letters are a bit bigger now.

Troy

Is it safe to say you've been on a roll lately Troy? Very very nice!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Great helmet! I especially like all the info that you have about him. I look forward to seeing it (and all the other new additions) sometime.

Mike

I saw this pop up on eBay but with a reserve. I bid as high as I could but it wasn't enough to get to the reserve. I watched it go up again and am VERY HAPPY to see it go to a fellow forum member! It is a great complete set as all is named to the same Marine and it came with papers.

Congrats as this is truly a great helmet and with history. Imagine where that helmet has been.