German Flag decorated by the US Fourth Division

dhcoleterracina

dhcoleterracina

A flag was recently posted on the WAF of a US decorated German flag. The poster is trying to identify the names of the soldiers and perhaps their records. I remembered that I had a similar flag and I would try to do the same thing. If anyone knows what the big initials are or if there was a 22nd Division, I'm interested to hear.

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

I used to have a number of those when I collected German stuff..I've known some guys who will look up the signatories to see if they're alive and have any souvenirs of their own....hard work, but it can pay off....the initials could be the flags owner (the G.I. I mean)...or it could be the one guy who had to be a Glory Hog. I brought a flag back from my first deplyment from the desert and had the people in the SYSCON sign it, and of course one 1Lt with a giant ego had to make sure his was bigger than everyone else.....

Mark sends

There was no 22nd Infantry Division during this time period. The 22nd Infantry noted on the flag is the 22nd Infantry Regiment which was part of the 4th Infantry Division.

• 7 years later...
dhcoleterracina

I finally sat down and checked these ten names by entering them in the "Find a Grave" website. All appear to have survived the war and I feel confident that I identified 8 of the 10 this way. It seems that most didn't travel too far from home after returning. I still haven't figured out what the big "S P" stands for. The 22nd Regiment landed on Utah on June 6th and fought on into Germany. Lost many guys.