Canteen returned to family now back to me with extras. 75th Inf.

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

Can't find my old post, so I'll update here.

In a nut shell, I purchased this canteen at a sale and found a 1950's cub scout knife under the canteen inside the cover. The cover also had a name written on it, Glenn Hayden Troop 495. I only wanted the canteen, so I listed the cub scout knife on auction and mentioned the information found written on the canteen cover in the description. A great guy who researches scout history contacted me and said he could track down the family this cub scout came from. So I ended the auction and next thing I know, I was talking to a vibrant, nearly 90 year old mother of the named cub scout. Cheryl Hayden. I also talked to her daughter (the sister of the Cub Scout) Thinking I was just going to return the knife and canteen to the family after all these years, I was quickly informed that yes that was her sons stuff he lost over 50 years ago, and she remembered this without hesitation, because the canteen was brought back by her Husband after WWII and given to their son to use for scouts. This was the same canteen he had carried in the Battle of the Bulge she said and he (The father, Glenn Sr.) was never happy about it getting lost. Well this was a great discovery and I was happy to return it to them. This came at the right time, because their son had passed several years prior from cancer and her husband Glenn Sr. had just passed a couple months prior to this (2012) and the daughter said this really meant a lot to her!! Anyway, today, I receive a box in the mail from the two, that included a very moving letter from Cheryl Hayden, telling me she wanted me to have the canteen back, so she knows its in the right hands and included a few other items, the items included;

The canteen

75th Patch

44th Patch

A Normandy Book mark

A 1939 German Medal, ribbon and paper envelope it came in. (Not sure what it is, but I don't believe its ever been issued)

A German Purple Stamp

I hope its okay to post pictures of it all since it is tied together with this canteen and brought home by the Vet. If not please remove.

I will also scan copies of a newspaper article that was done on the canteen being returned back in 2012.

The Vet:

Glenn Hayden Sr. ASN 39464051

Enlisted March 23rd, 1943

One picture sent of him in dress uniform appears to be with the 75th INF, But they sent both 75th and 44th INF patches? Also, Both Cheryl and her Daughter say Glenn was in Normandy and the Battle of the Bulge, But the 75th and 44th both arrived in France after D-day, so maybe they didn't mean for the D-day invasion?

Anyway thought it would be fun to share this story and history. I would like to do further history on Glenn. Haven't found much on line.

Thanks
Troy

I'll start with the newspaper article they had done. (Vancouver, Washington)

post-33000-0-33316100-1381437705.jpg

It is stories like these about collectors working with the families who actually wanted their veterans' militaria but was somehow lost to time (versus unscrupulous money-hungry posers...you know the ones). Not all of these family return stories end up this way but the sheer joy the returns bring to these folks is incredibly heart-warming.

Thank you for sharing!

BigDogMilitaria

That is awesome Troy. This is one of the coolest things i have read in my time on this forum. Couldnt have happened to a nicer guy.

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks again guys, The daughter informed me that when her Mother got these in the mail, she was overwhelmed with emotion holding the canteen and cub scout knife again. I don't really think it was about what the items were, but the fact they were found together and returned to them 50 years after the fact and just months after her husband passed and joined their son who also passed a couple years prior. Saying it was like a sign, because the two items being found together? Ya never know I guess... But I'm glad it helped when it was needed!

Troy

A great story, and I am glad to see that you displayed them proudly; proof that it doesn't have to be a painted helmet or uniform to be important.

RC

SergeantMajorGray

Great story! Military canteens seem to be used a lot by boy scouts maybe other people have some that can be researched. The medal is a WW2 German War Merit medal btw.