Japanese Bayonet Fireplace Tool or Flag Holder?

rcranch

Picked this up this past week at a flea market. The vendor said that his father carried it home after the war and it sat on the fireplace hearth for the past 65+ years. I guess it is lucky the wooden handle did not burn off. It is completely made of brass, including the rivets and is a tad over 25" long overall. There are five Japanese characters on the hilt. Using one of the translation tools on the Web, it appears two of the characters say "squad" and the others I am not sure, possible "aircraft". I have seen photos of Japanese soldiers holding flags which were attached to bayonets, guess this might be a fancy one of those? Anyway, with winter coming, it will make a nice fireplace poker for another 65+ years.

post-93122-0-76727600-1381353995.jpg

post-93122-0-78511000-1381354059.jpg

vintageproductions

It looks like they guy on the far right is holding the units "guidon" while the guy behind holds the Regimental flag. There is also a small officers sword like this that really doesn't have a blade, but two holes in the blank for attaching a flag to wave before a charge.

• 4 weeks later...

A friend has told me the Kanji on the pommel translates as follows: "Training aircraft squad use"? This is still a mystery to me but it does appear there may have been something, perhaps rings, soldered at a couple of points?

post-93122-0-52637000-1383579827.jpg