1st Sgt Charles Jeglinski, 6th Armored WWII, 40th Inf. Korean War.

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Hello,

This is an interesting helmet I just picked up from a seller in California, who is from the same area as the Vet.

On the initial research I have found the following;

History on the The Vet;

The Veteran is Retired Master Sergeant Charles Stanley Jeglinski, ASN 20113274,

Born 12-19-1910

Died 05-31-1994

Buried – Riverside National Cemetery, Ca

WWII and Korean War Vet.

He enlisted in the Army January 16th, 1941 from New Bedford Massachusetts, serving in the 6th Armored Div.

He is listed in the History of the 212th Armored Field Artillery Battalion in the E.T.O. 1944 – 1945 as a First Sgt. of B Battery. And was also mentioned as the 6th Armored Div. Assn President 1979 – 1980.

I found a couple mentions of him;

One Being an article written in 1985 titled; V-E Day Plus 40, GIs Return to Patton’s Camp, where he is mentioned for wearing his WWII uniform and bringing pictures of Patton and the camp.

He is also mentioned in a couple books:

1. On the way to war with Patton and GI’s on the Western Desert.

2. Battle of the Bulge, 50th Anniversary, Turner Publishing.

After WWII he was called back for duty in 1951 for the Korean War with the 40th Infantry Div. 143rd Field Artillery, Bn HQ.

This is all I have on his history for now.

The Helmet:

This helmet is ID’d on both the inside of the Liner and Helmet shell with his name and service number. Looks as if he went by “Chas” rather than his given name of “Charles”.

The Liner suspension is pretty much gone. The Shell is a fixed loop shell.

Now for the part I’m trying to figure out?

My Guess is this was either his original helmet set from his WWII days that he kept and used into his days with the 40th or a re-issued WWII helmet set he finished his military career with? He left the Army after WWII as a 1st Sgt (which is the rank shown on the helmet liner) and reentered with the 40th as a Master Sgt. (which is the rank written on the shell) Same service number though.

The Helmet appears to only have one coat of paint on it, but it is an odd pale shade of OD green with a WWII Paper 6th Armored Decal on the Right Side and the 40th Infantry Division Insignia on the Left side, along with Master Sgt Decal applied to the front.

I can’t find any connection between the 6th Armored and 40th Infantry? If anyone knows of one please let me know. But this is what I’m thinking. Being the senior enlisted guy, WWII Vet and now back for the Korean War, he probably applied one of his paper decals, or painted around the original one to let everyone know where he came from??

Anyway, sorry for all the writing, but though some may enjoy the history.

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Troy

post-33000-0-96221100-1381352395.jpg

post-33000-0-27857900-1381352529.jpg

post-33000-0-71452000-1381352548.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Sorry one more I found of the 40th in the 50's marching in a parade. Hard to see in the reduced picture, but appears these helmets are also painted a lighter shade of green with the 40th insignia's on the sides.

post-33000-0-43717400-1381353320.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Nice helmet! I was watching this one and then it was gone! Glad you got it!

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I was watching this one also, then it showed up cancelled in my watch list, but re-listed. So I clicked on the re-listed button and he re-listed it as a buy-it-now, so I jumped on it! I had already started some research on it from when I first seen it and knew the ID was good.

Troy

Was the BIN price seem like it was more favorable than had it gone through the auction? You don't have to give a price, just a nod yes or no. ^_^

USMC-RECON0321

Well, I think I got a great deal with the history I can ID with it. Which has been the focus of my collection lately; trying to stick with only Unit marked, Named and ID'd helmet sets. So it checked those boxes!!

It was kind of a weird deal, I didn't realize the seller actually listed this helmet 4 times in one day, 2 auction styles, cancelled both, then a buy it now for about 10 minutes, cancelled it again then another buy it now and I snagged it before he could change his mind again!!

He did have it listed in the correct category, he properly identified the rank and unit insignia's, so I don't think it would've lasted long (well it didn't! Lol)

Anyway, probably not hard to figure out, so I'll just fill you in. The BIN was $165 & free shipping. So to answer your question, I think the auction would've ended at a better price. But then again, none of the history I listed was in the description. That was from my own digging.

Thanks

Troy

Troy,

On the stickers, it looks like he decorated his helmet following the uniform SSI guidelines. Looks like he put the 6th Amd on the "combat" side and the 40th on the "active unit" side. I am not sure that this would have flown while he was active, he may have added it after his active service. Looks like the decals are different types...

Cool helmet!

USMC-RECON0321

Troy,

On the stickers, it looks like he decorated his helmet following the uniform SSI guidelines. Looks like he put the 6th Amd on the "combat" side and the 40th on the "active unit" side. I am not sure that this would have flown while he was active, he may have added it after his active service. Looks like the decals are different types...

Cool helmet!

Tom,

I was kind of thinking the same thing, with the 6th Armored on his combat side. And with the Armored decal being the WWII paper type, thinking maybe he had some left over form his WWII days and added it after getting out of the 40th as a display piece or tribute helmet? The only thing that has me second guessing that is how faded the 6th Armored decal is? It definitely spent plenty of time outside.

I also read the 40th Infantry was also re designated in the mid 50's as the 40th Armored Div. But again, I couldn't find a connection between the 40th and 6th?

Thanks again

Troy

Very nice lid Troy...an interesting array of insignia which tells a story. It will display very well in spite of the damaged suspension.

USMC-RECON0321

Very nice lid Troy...an interesting array of insignia which tells a story. It will display very well in spite of the damaged suspension.

Thanks Ian,

I think it does and It's already found its new home!

post-33000-0-63412500-1381419384.jpg

Tom,

I was kind of thinking the same thing, with the 6th Armored on his combat side. And with the Armored decal being the WWII paper type, thinking maybe he had some left over form his WWII days and added it after getting out of the 40th as a display piece or tribute helmet? The only thing that has me second guessing that is how faded the 6th Armored decal is? It definitely spent plenty of time outside.

I also read the 40th Infantry was also re designated in the mid 50's as the 40th Armored Div. But again, I couldn't find a connection between the 40th and 6th?

Thanks again

Troy

You are correct in your findings, the 6th Armored Division has no affiliation with the 40th Infantry Division. This with the decals would in my estimation be added by the vet after he left the service to show the two main units he served in combat in, the rank his rank when he got out. The normal way decals on liners and shells would be worn would be Army, Corps or Division on one side with Regiment or Battalion on the other, or if not, then the Army, Corps or Division on both sides.

Great piece by the way.

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks Patches I agree.

I think we have narrowed this down to at least the liner being his original issued and used WWII liner with the 6th Armored, with his WWII Rank of First Sgt. painted inside. The shell is a fixed Loop, but no way of knowing if its his WWII shell or just a re-issue to him for his Korean war hitch with the 40th Infantry. Either way, the shell was his authentic 40th Infantry shell with his new rank of M/Sgt showing and written inside along with the 40th DI on the Left Side as seen in unit pictures for the 40th of the time period. The 6th Armored Paper decal most likely added to the right side after getting out, making it more of a display piece of his military service in two wars.

Troy

Thanks Patches I agree.

I think we have narrowed this down to at least the liner being his original issued and used WWII liner with the 6th Armored, with his WWII Rank of First Sgt. painted inside. The shell is a fixed Loop, but no way of knowing if its his WWII shell or just a re-issue to him for his Korean war hitch with the 40th Infantry. Either way, the shell was his authentic 40th Infantry shell with his new rank of M/Sgt showing and written inside along with the 40th DI on the Left Side as seen in unit pictures for the 40th of the time period. The 6th Armored Paper decal most likely added to the right side after getting out, making it more of a display piece of his military service in two wars.

Troy

That photo showing the decaled helmets may be in fact only liners, while both liner and shell could both be decaled up in the 50s-60s, it was normaly the liners by themselves that were decaled, with the shell left plain. If this was the original decaled shell that he had in the 40th Division, then we would see reminants of a decal on the side where the 6th Arm Div decal is, one, whether on a liner or shell, did not wear a decal on one side only, there would be two, the higher organization and the subrodinate unit ie Regiment and or Battallion so while it would and could be the shell he wore in the 40th Division, it would of been plain I'm thinking for that reason.

One more thing, this on the ranks, in the Army Master Sergeant and First Sergeant are interchangable ranks within the Grade of E-8, the fact that he wrote 1st Sgt in the liner may not mean that this was his WWII liner, he apparenlty was indeed a 1st Sgt in WWII, and was lucky and retained this Grade the rest of his career, here he would as the norm bounch back in forth between ranks. 1st Sgts are command, while M/Sgts are adminstration and the like, M/Sgts will be found at Headquarters Staff level, Regimental and or Battalion, and as you guessed 1st Sgts at Company level, to include the Headquarters Company.

• 1 year later...

I just found this website. I knew Charlie and Nora Jeglinski very well. Charlie and Nora were God Parents to both of our daughters. Charlie did serve in Patton's Army during WWII and also served in Korea. His last rank was as a Sergeant Major. He was one of the primary contributors and organizers for the Patton Museum at Chiraco Summit in California. He was originally from Mass. He lived in Venice, CA., next door to my in laws. Charlie was employed by Douglas Aircraft in Santa Monica, CA, as a modeling design engineer. He personally knew Donald Douglas Sr. And Jr. He was quite the talented artist and designer and a active member of the Fort MacArthur rod and gun club. I can't offer any more detailed information other than there are pictures of him at the Patton Museum at Chiraco Summit.

Hal Robinson

Lake Havasu City, AZ

928-855-2385

USMC-RECON0321

That is great information and thanks for adding it to this thread. I will plan on contacting you with the number posted and would love to learn more about Mr. Jeglinski. I did pick up a book about Batogne that he is quoted in several times.

Thanks again

Troy