Military Lighters - All eras all brands

Two of my dad's lighters from the late 60's. The Zippo with the Buffalo engraved on one side above business is our family business. These were made between 64-66. No one remembers exactly

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

4 minutes ago, iron bender said:

Two of my dad's lighters from the late 60's. The Zippo with the Buffalo engraved on one side above business is our family business. These were made between 64-66. No one remembers exactly

IMG_2786.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

Very neat lighters and a family connection to boot.

Holding the line in the DMZ!

Cobra 6 Actual

Iron bender, great lighters … family owned lighters are always the ones we cherish the most. I had forgotten that I had one of my Dad’s:

image.png

He got this in France just at the end of WWII. Barely visible on the bottom is the silver-colored French “tax stamp” that was required from the early 1900’s through the mid-1940’s (French taxes gotta be collected, Nazis or no.).

By the way, iron bender, you may have a date code on the bottom of that Zippo that may narrow down the date the lighter was manufactured (not necessarily the date it was engraved).

2 minutes ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Iron bender, great lighters … family owned lighters are always the ones we cherish the most. I had forgotten that I had one of my Dad’s:

image.png

Another neat lighter.

What is it depicting?

Cobra 6 Actual
9 minutes ago, Boy Howdy said:

Another neat lighter.

What is it depicting?

Boy Howdy, I believe that is one of the four panels on the the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile (Triumphal Arch of the Star) in Paris. This panel is “Le Départ de 1792” and has Winged Liberty at the top.

Cobra 6 Actual
16 hours ago, jmd62 said:

Now that's a beauty, in a couple of ways! When was that manufactured? 

It’s actually a 2017 Zippo and was made by a guy who is, unfortunately, now out of business. Here’s an interesting Zippo:

DD4D85CD-DDFE-4918-83AC-73FE4B42EC7C.jpeg

It’s the only Zippo I’ve seen that has an engraved Army Drill Sergeant badge. I’m not exactly sure what the “Special Training Company” did. Also, the fact that it was gifted to an officer by other officers and their ladies is kinda cool, too.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, BH. The dates seem right. He’s at Ft. Campbell in 66-67. Then probably goes to RVN. We’d need more information to positively know.  But, what you’ve found is sure a good start. Thanks again!

Cobra 6 Actual

Here’s one that ‘speaks’ volumes about what doughboys thought about the guys wearing the WWI German pickelhaben:

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, BH, for the humor. Now, this style of lighter was also pretty common:

image.jpeg

No lighter fluid was needed, so when the striker made a coal in the wick it would smolder. Plenty sufficient to light a cigarette. However, this style isn’t very collectable since there is no real graphic design on it; the lighter is strictly functional.