Military Lighters - All eras all brands

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, Boy Howdy. I have another Zippo from a different Cav unit. I found it on the drill field at Ft. Knox back in 1968:

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Let’s shift back to WWI: in July 1918 US forces including the 1st Infantry Division, the 2nd Infantry Division, and the 6th Marines engaged in what became known as the Battle of Soisson. After heavy fighting the Allies emerged victorious. This “trench lighter” commemorates that battle:

image.jpeg

There are several things of note about this lighter: 1) It’s not really a lighter at all, but a matchbox holder, 2) Unlike most trench lighters this item was most probably actually made in the trenches, and somewhat crudely as a result, 3) The reversed letter “N” was not considered such a big deal back then and many American troops were only semi-literate, and 4) It appears that the central design element is a simple US Army uniform button that has been soldered onto the matchbox.

Cobra 6 Actual

This is a WWI “bullet lighter” with a good shot of the silver-colored French tax stamp that was required from ~1915 to ~1947:

image.jpeg

This simple style was very popular and the design is still in use right now. Here’s an example of a modern one:

image.jpeg.8ff3a3e34ebc10501a80f88158e72554.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

I should add that WWI troops, just like the grunts/Joes of today always appreciated small lightweight gear. The bullet shape was also used for another item with Catholic troops, the pocket shrine. This one is about 1.5’ tall and there is a brass swiveling section inside, essentially an inner cover that can be rotated to protect the object inside:

image.jpeg

So, this little statue is of the Virgin Mary. French troops would have also carried this icon. But, equally popular was one of Joan of Arc.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, BH, I should have mentioned that the pocket shrine wan’t the only religious artifact carried and that in WWI, as in several other wars, troops would often carry a small bible in their left breast pockets to literally protect them. 

Cobra 6 Actual

Whoa, exactly, BH! Here’s a WWI trench lighter with the Marine Corps seal:

image.jpeg

It’s also about 2.5 inches in diameter. Here’s the reverse:

image.jpeg

Lots of symbolism on this side: a US Warship flying the American Flag, with the Statue of Liberty just visible in the center background. And, on the right the French Rooster.

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks again, jmd62. Here’s one with a song attached to it:

image.jpeg

What is it good for? (Thanks for the 1969 lyrics, Edwin Starr!)

Cobra 6 Actual

And in my case, BH, it takes me back to Vietnam. This was a crazy popular song, probably only slightly less popular than the 1965 “We gotta get out of this place”  by the Animals.

And this lighter, which was mine, seems appropriate for both of those songs:

image.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

Thanks, Boy Howdy. I especially like that well-used brass “Desert Patrol” one. Here’s a nice Marine one in the thinner size

image.jpeg