Military Lighters - All eras all brands

5 minutes ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

If any Coasties are out there and collect Zippos this 1980 “C.G. Barque Eagle” is on eBay now:

image.jpeg.ea87ec4a7999c9ca0d0d0ba8f54c9bc0.jpeg

Nice! Great condition.

I figured I would post this UH-1H Survival Vest Lighter from 1977 (mine) Most likely
Vietnam issue as nearly all the equipment at that time was, my Huey was a 67 Model :)
anyway the interesting thing is NO MARKINGS at all but like I said I know were it came from

surv11.jpg.235a7494749282ace7d9e8e32ba543ed.jpg
surv5.jpg.bd138cdd449a25caa28d610dc0af82b4.jpg
surv4.jpg.811f1c1a4bb2b784e68f925270a060ae.jpg
surv9.jpg.9cb4d5742ad931ae23af5a741f35d933.jpg

Very cool Gazoo, thank you so much for showing us the internal workings of the survival vest lighter and how it is put together. What an experience!! Helicopter pilot in Nam! Beautiful work on that Park Sherman as well. Great post man. 

29 minutes ago, mtnman said:

Very cool Gazoo, thank you so much for showing us the internal workings of the survival vest lighter and how it is put together. What an experience!! Helicopter pilot in Nam! Beautiful work on that Park Sherman as well. Great post man. 

Thanks but although I enlisted 1974 Infantry I did not go to Vietnam, THANK YOU LORD.
I re-enlisted 6 month early for Aviation 67N Crew Chief UH-IH in 1676 (post nam) so basically ALL THE FUN
with little DANGER. N.O.E. and M60 live fire Qualification from the Huey was a kick :) Peace time Army Aviation very cool

Salvage Sailor
On 3/3/2023 at 8:58 AM, Cobra 6 Actual said:

If any Coasties are out there and collect Zippos this 1980 “C.G. Barque Eagle” is on eBay now:

image.jpeg.ea87ec4a7999c9ca0d0d0ba8f54c9bc0.jpeg

USCGCEAGLE001.jpg.da673f8246398170f89daf9f2d2a7843.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, here's my first lighter to post and a very interesting find indeed! I did not know that there was a military unit of international constitution, that had been fighting and continues to fight a war against piracy and even human trafficking. I rode up a small presentation of the lighter for Cobra, and I will simply transfer that description here with the pictures. The lighter itself had been used on the open seas and so it was encrusted with residue all over it which gave it and authenticity and salty provenance like no other! These guys well equipped and trained to take down these pirates who terrorized the area off the Horn of Africa out of Somalia primarily where there were pirate bases that equipped the floating motherships and small attack ships that made up the flotilla of terrorism on the high seas. Well, they found a very painful lesson ahead from an extremely deadly NAVFOR foe in the ships, attack helicopters and fixed wing aircraft and highly trained special ops teams consigned to the Operation ATALANTA (spelled correctly) echelon of international militaries.

Here's a copy of the description... 

I did a hefty cleaning on the lighter from the antipirating military echelon from the EU.  

Operation Atalanta focused on military interdiction by the EU regarding piracy rampant in the area of the horn of Africa, utilizing special forces trained to confront and if necessary eliminate those engaged in pirating in the sense of attack, commandeering of ships and kidnapping of its patrons and crew. Operation  Atalanta was a large scale operation put together under EU auspices instead of NATO. Their mission was confronting, from 2008 forward, the many pirating attacks that were occurring during the later years of the first decade and beginning years of the second decade of the second millennium. Operation Atalanta utilized frigate class vessels from several of the participating nations and a destroyer from the US was utilized. 

Whoever "K A R"  was, he was in it from the beginning as they put it together in 2006-2008 and it looks like he went through quite an adventure in those initial years of bringing down the Beast. 

They fought a battle against indigenous and entrenched foes Who knew the waters off those coasts of Africa better than anyone. Operation Atalanta even saw the navfor operation attack aircraft and helicopter squadrons attacking the land bases of the pirates on the coast of Somalia at different locations in 2012. 

"The EU Navfor conducted the operation to destroy pirate equipment on the Somali coastline earlier today, using aircraft and helicopters to strike targets along the central coastline in the region of Galmudug."

It is my first brass Zippo and it is absolutely beautiful, having the marks of heavy usage on the open seas, that's why all the grit from the salt air had built up on the lighter which had made others reticent to buy it! I love the fact that this was used while in the ops in the early days of Operation Atalanta. 

According to officials, “Atalanta was a demonstration of the projection of the EU’s power both at the military level… and at the symbolic level.”

“Operation Atalanta – fighting piracy off the Horn of Africa – is one of the EU’s most successful initiatives: from 176 attacks in 2011, incidents have gone down to a total of just four failed attacks in 2018.”

I will buddy! Thanks so much

Show quoted text

Polish_20230314_152251033.jpg

Polish_20230314_152035949.jpg

Polish_20230314_152925990.jpg

Polish_20230314_152540971.jpg

Polish_20230314_152732264.jpg

1 hour ago, mtnman said:

Okay guys, here's my first lighter to post and a very interesting find indeed! I did not know that there was a military unit of international constitution, that had been fighting and continues to fight a war against piracy and even human trafficking. I rode up a small presentation of the lighter for Cobra, and I will simply transfer that description here with the pictures. The lighter itself had been used on the open seas and so it was encrusted with residue all over it which gave it and authenticity and salty provenance like no other! These guys well equipped and trained to take down these pirates who terrorized the area off the Horn of Africa out of Somalia primarily where there were pirate bases that equipped the floating motherships and small attack ships that made up the flotilla of terrorism on the high seas. Well, they found a very painful lesson ahead from an extremely deadly NAVFOR foe in the ships, attack helicopters and fixed wing aircraft and highly trained special ops teams consigned to the Operation ATALANTA (spelled correctly) echelon of international militaries.

Here's a copy of the description... 

I did a hefty cleaning on the lighter from the antipirating military echelon from the EU.  

Operation Atalanta focused on military interdiction by the EU regarding piracy rampant in the area of the horn of Africa, utilizing special forces trained to confront and if necessary eliminate those engaged in pirating in the sense of attack, commandeering of ships and kidnapping of its patrons and crew. Operation  Atalanta was a large scale operation put together under EU auspices instead of NATO. Their mission was confronting, from 2008 forward, the many pirating attacks that were occurring during the later years of the first decade and beginning years of the second decade of the second millennium. Operation Atalanta utilized frigate class vessels from several of the participating nations and a destroyer from the US was utilized. 

Whoever "K A R"  was, he was in it from the beginning as they put it together in 2006-2008 and it looks like he went through quite an adventure in those initial years of bringing down the Beast. 

They fought a battle against indigenous and entrenched foes Who knew the waters off those coasts of Africa better than anyone. Operation Atalanta even saw the navfor operation attack aircraft and helicopter squadrons attacking the land bases of the pirates on the coast of Somalia at different locations in 2012. 

"The EU Navfor conducted the operation to destroy pirate equipment on the Somali coastline earlier today, using aircraft and helicopters to strike targets along the central coastline in the region of Galmudug."

It is my first brass Zippo and it is absolutely beautiful, having the marks of heavy usage on the open seas, that's why all the grit from the salt air had built up on the lighter which had made others reticent to buy it! I love the fact that this was used while in the ops in the early days of Operation Atalanta. 

According to officials, “Atalanta was a demonstration of the projection of the EU’s power both at the military level… and at the symbolic level.”

“Operation Atalanta – fighting piracy off the Horn of Africa – is one of the EU’s most successful initiatives: from 176 attacks in 2011, incidents have gone down to a total of just four failed attacks in 2018.”

I will buddy! Thanks so much

Show quoted text

Polish_20230314_152251033.jpg

Polish_20230314_152035949.jpg

Polish_20230314_152925990.jpg

Polish_20230314_152540971.jpg

Polish_20230314_152732264.jpg

Do you have a "Before" cleaning photo??

Before cleaning as requested yokota! Enjoy buddy! And thanks so much cobra for all the encouragement! 

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

1 minute ago, mtnman said:

Before cleaning as requested yokota! Enjoy buddy! And thanks so much cobra for all the encouragement! 

s-l1600 (9).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Thanks for the before pic and great story.

Does that thing really glow in the dark!? How cool! I saw that one the other day while I was going after another one, that is a unique find yokota! Well done sir! 

34 minutes ago, mtnman said:

Does that thing really glow in the dark!? How cool! I saw that one the other day while I was going after another one, that is a unique find yokota! Well done sir! 

No glow, just a "Cold War" joke in reference to the Unit. I added filters to the original photo. If I had a Geiger counter, I would definitely check this one!

23 minutes ago, yokota57 said:

No glow, just a "Cold War" joke in reference to the Unit. I added filters to the original photo. If I had a Geiger counter, I would definitely check this one!

You had me going there for a second man!! That was awesome! Great lighter though buddy. 

1 hour ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

Thank you, mtnman. And it is a First Infantry Division unit, too … my old outfit.

I know that means a lot Cobra. It blesses my heart it went to you because the empathy with what that lighter signifies goes very deep in this case, with the one taking stewardship over this tiny monument to the work of that unit in protecting each others lives in brotherhood of the battlefield.