27th Infantry Saipan ammo pouches

Linedoggie

While looking through the 27th Division WWII thread in the Photos section

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/189425-27th-infantry-division-photos-on-fold3/

I noticed Ltc. O'Brien* of the 1st Bn 105th infantry wearing a strange set of ammo pouches. They seem to be hanging by straps from his pistol or trouser belt and based on a Cartridge belt but carrying Carbine magazines. (appalling Muzzle awareness by the way)

82fac7f1-c7bb-4ec8-95d6-c88cf777af42_zps

As you can see they look to be a connected set of 4 pockets and hang either from his trousers belt of pistol belt. Is this something "Rigger" type modified at unit level or something issued locally?

* By the way Ltc. O'Brien was KIA and awarded the MoH for his actions the night of the Big Banzai charge on Saipan.

The pouch in question is an Army design for a grenade carrier. It has been discussed here before, though I don't think a combat photo has ever been posted.

craig_pickrall

I agree. There are several threads here that discuss this pouch but no one has ever posted a photo of the pouch in use, especially in a combat zone. Great photo. Thanks for posting.