Tanker Jacket USMC ID

Got this tanker jacket at the minnesota show.It is named on the back below the knit collar to DH WILSON.I believe he is listed in the 5th Division book as being wounded.(I dont have a 5th history at the moment).If I remember correctly he is listed serving with the 5th Pioneer Battalion.I believe the 5th was the unit on Iwo Jima that surpressed the last Japanese attack on the island where the Japanese killed many of the Army Air Force personel while asleep in their tents.Any further info would be appreciated.RON

post-342-1208927845.jpg

post-342-1208927888.jpg

VERY nice jacket!! thumbsup.gif

Thanks Jim.

I have a few more of his items I picked up a year ago.There was a very large clothing group but it was split up by a friend of mine.Lots of cold weather gear.M41s,Artic field jackets and trousers,the lined vest,m43 tousers and jacket etc.I tend to think Wilson was sent to china after the war.Just an assumption based on all the cold weather gear.Also got a P41 shirt with tac markings on it.

RON

Kurt Barickman

Ron,

What table was that on think.gifthumbsup.gif ??

Kurt Barickman

101combatvet

Anything else come with this jacket? How did you know he was in the 5th Marines?

Anything else come with this jacket? How did you know he was in the 5th Marines?

If I remember correctly he is listed under the roster for being wounded in the 5th marine Division Unit History.I dont currently have the book but a friend looked up his name in his copy.I had purchased some other items a year ago and will try to photograph them.It was part of a large clothing group that was split up.

RON

Ron,

What table was that on think.gifthumbsup.gif ??

Kurt Barickman

Kurt,

It was one of those under the table things.DC had it in his stash.

RON

101combatvet

Just wondering..... because the "Wilson" name is so common. I have a copy of the Spearhead.....

If I remember correctly he is listed under the roster for being wounded in the 5th marine Division Unit History.I dont currently have the book but a friend looked up his name in his copy.I had purchased some other items a year ago and will try to photograph them.It was part of a large clothing group that was split up.

RON

Here are some pics of Wilsons other items.This is his M41 field jacket.No label in collar and marked with his initials on the front left breast.The jacket is very wrinkled as I have done nothing to it since it came out of the footlocker.Also shown are his cordovan colored leather gloves and a well worn pair of M43 trousers.Comments welcome

RON

post-342-1209093274.jpg

Here is his Tac marked P41 HBT shirt.The shirt is marked 389size) in the collar.Appears to be unworn but it has a lot of brown staining through out the shirt.I assume this was from humidity due to poor storage.

post-342-1209093609.jpg

Here is Wilsons cold weather vest over his HBT shirt.The items in the bottom of pic are three air socks that were his.

post-342-1209093758.jpg

Here is the size label in Wilsons unissued M41 field jacket.ALL comments welcome.

RON

post-342-1209094081.jpg

usmcraidergirl

Nice set. twothumbup.gif

I have a copy of the book and I checked in it. I didn't see a "DH Wilson." Sorry I couldn't help. :(

Nice set. twothumbup.gif

I have a copy of the book and I checked in it. I didn't see a "DH Wilson." Sorry I couldn't help. :(

Thanks for checking.I will have to check with my friend.He was the original purchaser of the group.Note the letters on the M41 are DWM??Not a real match to the Wilson name but all came in the same grouping.Will call him this week and get more info.I know he bought this group and all clothes at the Tulsa gunshow as a walk in from a picker who stated he got it out of Texas.

Thanks for checking.I will have to check with my friend.He was the original purchaser of the group.Note the letters on the M41 are DWM??Not a real match to the Wilson name but all came in the same grouping.Will call him this week and get more info.I know he bought this group and all clothes at the Tulsa gunshow as a walk in from a picker who stated he got it out of Texas.

It is quite common to find multiple names stamped or written on WWII and Korean-era USMC clothing item from alphas to HBT's. So it is not at all surprising that someone named DH Wilson has something with a different set of initials.

That UNIS/TAC marking on the shirt is a bit confusing to me. One of our forum members has posted a guide to reading those: http://www.mujweb.cz/kultura/usmc/unisE.htm and to me it looks something that would translate as 24th Regiment/2nd Battalion/Charlie Co (the number 1 would be for HQ company) - but that doesn't work if for no other reason than that the 24th was in the 4th Div. So how do you translate that "2422' in the rectangular shape (which is 5th Division)?

That alpaca vest is from Korea.

The vest is another anomolie as he was not in Korea to my knowledge.I believe Kurt Barrickman also has/had some of this grouping from the same individual.Maybe he has some insight on the tac marking.

RON

I thought Kurt's group was to a 'May'? If memory serves me right May served with the 5th Pioneers on Iwo.

Love that P41!

The vest is another anomolie as he was not in Korea to my knowledge.I believe Kurt Barrickman also has/had some of this grouping from the same individual.Maybe he has some insight on the tac marking.

RON

There are some reports of those vests being seen in China in 1946.

Kurt Barickman

thumbsup.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Ron,

I love that TAC shirt, is that related somehow to my tac group that came in through DC at last show from TX??

Kurt

I thought Kurt's group was to a 'May'? If memory serves me right May served with the 5th Pioneers on Iwo.

Love that P41!

Lief,

Thats the one.I believe his name was Dean(?) May.Will check with Dwight.The Wilson jacket was part of the original group.May is the one listed in the 5th division.The Tac marked shirt was his as well as the rest of the group.The tanker must have been a pick up by May and brought home.

RON