What SSI would 1178th MP Co. Aviation have worn?

dlp797

My father passed away in 1961 when I was 3 y/o in an VA hospital in Indy from a staph infection post lower back surgery. My brother and I are still sifting through the facts/fiction?! After a year stateside Sept 42-Sept-43(no known unit) he was shipped to North Africa as an MP and after 3 months he was sent to Foggia Italy Nov-43 to Aug-44. What SSI would '1178th MP Co. Aviation' have worn? 5th Army or 15th AAF? The only unit desination on his WD AGO 53-55 are for being wounded twice while with the 517th PRCT in Belgium and that he was with the 513th PIR 17th Airborne Div when he was discharged in Sept-45.

Doubt he would have worn the 5th Army, apart from the 15th AF patch he could of wore this one too while at the Foggia Air Field, the standard Air Corps shoulder patch.

post-34986-0-60060900-1381214131.jpg

Interesting how he wound up in a Parachute Infantry Regiment, was he previously Jump Qualified? you could not be a Leg and assigned to a Parachute Inf Regt as a replacement, that's the understanding, a Glider Infantry Regiment, yes, but a parachute unit, hmmm, havn't heard either of Divisions on the continent running a Jump Course for prospective replacments for their Parachute Infantry, Artillery units.

• 4 months later...

He went through jump training in Rome and was assigned to 517 PRCT that jumped into S. France in Operation Dragoon and earned Airborne Invasion Airowhead on his ETO Ribbon w/6 Campaign Stars 2 PH citation while in BelgIum and trans to 513 PIR 17 Airborne Div for Operation Varsity for 2nd Star on his Basic Airborne Qualification Wings!

He went through jump training in Rome and was assigned to 517 PRCT that jumped into S. France in Operation Dragoon and earned Airborne Invasion Airowhead on his ETO Ribbon w/6 Campaign Stars 2 PH citation while in BelgIum and trans to 513 PIR 17 Airborne Div for Operation Varsity for 2nd Star on his Basic Airborne Qualification Wings!