Des Moines Military Show 18-19 Oct 2013

The Des Moines (Camp Dodge) Iowa Military Show will be held on 18-19 October 2013. This is the resurrected version of the defunct Des Moines show that was held at the fairgrounds and is now held at Camp Dodge North of the city. It was a decent show last year although this is just the second year of operation for the show.

MVC-107F.JPG

"You can't please everyone so you have got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from the Des Moines Military show and managed to pick up a few things, so it was a good trip for me. I ran into a few forum members who seemed to be busily shopping as well.

All in all a decent show for me. I hope other forum members had a good show as well.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

There was a nice mix of items there lots of TR items.Some new dealers as well.generally the attendance of the general public was not as anticipated by the promoter.They were disappointed by the lack of people there.Some dealers said ales were slow to the public

Did see several members there as well.Sales and trades were brisk between dealers and it wasnt hard to spend money.Managed to score a 5th Marine group and it turned out to be from a vet of the 5th Tank Bn.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

doyler,

I noticed that walk-in traffic was slow. I think the problem may well be that the show is held on base. If the general public thinks it may be hard to get on base, or has a firearm to bring to the show, they might hesitate to attend. I noticed that the flyer said "No weapons or ammunition allowed" when they really meant firearms. Plenty of swords and daggers for sale but a walk-in might not bring grandpaw's sword or uncle Harry's war booty dagger to sell if they followed the printed instructions to the letter. I did see one walk-in with a Japanese sword that he was trying to identify or sell.

I had a great time talking with many people to include Tom and Barb James and Ron Doyler. Managed to pick up a few nice 1/2 inch wide USN USMC WWII ribbon bars.

Kurt

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

doyler,

I noticed that walk-in traffic was slow. I think the problem may well be that the show is held on base. If the general public thinks it may be hard to get on base, or has a firearm to bring to the show, they might hesitate to attend. I noticed that the flyer said "No weapons or ammunition allowed" when they really meant firearms. Plenty of swords and daggers for sale but a walk-in might not bring grandpaw's sword or uncle Harry's war booty dagger to sell if they followed the printed instructions to the letter. I did see one walk-in with a Japanese sword that he was trying to identify or sell.

I agree.Being on base is a factor as some dont understand or are put off/intimidated about how to get on base.I have said all along if they dont have guns it will kill it as there are a lot of the dealer that attended last year didnt even get tables this year as they are into the pistols,rifles and accessories.I heard several dealers this year say they werent coming back next year.

Some were thinking it was a slow show due to the recent shut down and people were skiddish about spending money etc or they didnt think the show was still going to happnen.I have seen a trend before the shut down where any type of shows are seeing declining numbers and attendance.With the internet people who are intrested in selling now have options where they dont have to leave the house or make a real phsical effort to sell it by walking into a show or to a dealers shop or other venue.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

I managed to make it to this show. Was great to meet a couple of members on here. It was a pretty small show but I managed to pick up a few little pieces.

The flyer I got from the Des Moines gun show had weapons blacked out and replaced with firearms but I can see just being on base as being off putting.

For those of you I met there it was great meeting you.

Jason

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif