Ohio Military Museum, Massillon Ohio

Wedgehead30

During my travels around the state the other day I stopped by a local Military Museum in Massillon Ohio. They are the home to 15+ Medals of Honor and one of the best research libraries around. They have a rotating display and I try to get in when they change. Well on this day they had on display a local soldier who was awarded the MOH. Since my son is currently assigned to B Co. 148 Infantry Regiment I was fascinated by the display of PFC. Joseph Cicchetti. I have an affinity for anything related to the 37th ID. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics.

Enjoy,

Scott

http://www.ohiomilitarymuseum.com/Home_Page.html

post-124172-0-07836400-1381156250.jpg

Is that his original MoH??? I was there once shortly after someone came in and dropped off their relative's Civil War Moh. Also, the medals on the jacket look like modern ones with the artificial wash...is the jacket his too???

Mark sends

Is that his original MoH??? I was there once shortly after someone came in and dropped off their relative's Civil War Moh. Also, the medals on the jacket look like modern ones with the artificial wash...is the jacket his too???

Mark sends

I asked the guide about the newer medals. He wasn't sure. The Coat & MOH are the real deal.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been there once before. Quite an interesting place to visit. On December 7, 2013 my Army JROTC Unit had a Color Guard at American Legion Post 44. The Guide that took my mother and myself through the museum brought in a Pearl Harbor KIA CMOH Uniform to a Signalman. I was abit younger at the time and didn't pay close to alot of details and I'm hoping to go back sooner or later.

D

• 2 months later...
peterson45

seems like a really interesting place, I will definitely check it out the next time i'm in Ohio (which I hope is soon!)

"The Coat & MOH are the real deal." Does that mean it is the medal awarded to the family? And, he was issued an "Ike" Jacket before going overseas to the AP Theater? I find that interesting if true.

Wedgehead30

Yes, the MOH is the one awarded posthumously to his family. They donated it to the museum at some point. If I remember correctly the jacket was among his belongings returned to the family. I'm pretty sure the other medals are replacements.

Scott