ARVN Ranger Advisor 1965

gwb123

Oooooooh...I'll bet some guys will be breaking out a jar of Nivea and grabbing a roll of Bounty(the quicker picker upper) over this set Owen.

Thanks guys ,

I am only missing the cap as that has yet to be photographed !!

Spike ,

You need to watch some Nascar re-runs

I can feel the tension building .

o

Also, maybe when Owen is done gloating about this set he will show the set of tiger stripes he bought there. It was bantered around here on the site last year, with members saying it was too over priced, and no one would ever buy it etc..That it wasn't as rare as the seller thought it was. Well, being the true hardcore camo collector he is, Owen stepped up to the plate, and laid down some very serious money for the set. All I can say, is if I was feeling financially flush, and upon seeing this tiger stripe uniform in the flesh again, I sure would have manned up for it also. He bought a great set, and is definately one of the rarest tiger patterns there is.

Owen,

I'm glad you managed to secure the Tiger set from Jason, I was thinking to buy it several times last year but was never able to get enough money at once, the financial crisis this year has definitively put it out of my reach. i hope to see sevral pics form it in big size in the future :D, you can tell it now that this set was made in VMX pattern, that only very few items survived according to RJ book.

Bob,

The set was remaining for sale over a year, as rare as it could be, its price is above of financial reach of the average (and even hardcore) collector, I think many members here share my opinion. My joy of collecting is to hunt the item through flea market, ebay, to get some emotions when dig out the rare item ... not throw the money to buy every desirable things to have the best collection becaus simply I can't afford to do that since I have to pay bills and spare money for the coming difficult time.

Cop

First up the ERDL set ,

Note all the gold stitching through out ?

This is typicial of Viet thread even after a couple of washes and sunshine .

All patches has the same thread .

So the conversation and patch placement was done at the same time .

Not all guys cared about the pretty patches ,there was a war to fight .

we cannot forget that .

Maybee that is all the locial sewer had at hand .

Bottom line an original set in original condition .

On the tiger set it is indeed the first pattern and does NOT have a top button hole , which is just the way Johnsons other piece is .

VMX ??

This is a true 1st pattern Marine print .

You will be seeing more of it in due course .

owen

Owen,

The ERDL set is trully beautiful, I feel more insured because the thread was right and made all in the same time :) ,

About the Tiger set, any QM stamps ? I don't know how you would call it but it s a first issue VNMC tiger in the very early 60 or end 50s. I think if you look closer, I can find several slight differences with the 1st pattern VNMC we used to see.

Cop

First up the ERDL set ,

Note all the gold stitching through out ?

This is typicial of Viet thread even after a couple of washes and sunshine .

All patches has the same thread .

So the conversation and patch placement was done at the same time .

Not all guys cared about the pretty patches ,there was a war to fight .

we cannot forget that .

Maybee that is all the locial sewer had at hand .

Bottom line an original set in original condition .

On the tiger set it is indeed the first pattern and does NOT have a top button hole , which is just the way Johnsons other piece is .

VMX ??

This is a true 1st pattern Marine print .

You will be seeing more of it in due course .

owen

vintageproductions
Owen,

I'm glad you managed to secure the Tiger set from Jason, I was thinking to buy it several times last year but was never able to get enough money at once, the financial crisis this year has definitively put it out of my reach. i hope to see sevral pics form it in big size in the future :D, you can tell it now that this set was made in VMX pattern, that only very few items survived according to RJ book.

Bob,

The set was remaining for sale over a year, as rare as it could be, its price is above of financial reach of the average (and even hardcore) collector, I think many members here share my opinion. My joy of collecting is to hunt the item through flea market, ebay, to get some emotions when dig out the rare item ... not throw the money to buy every desirable things to have the best collection becaus simply I can't afford to do that since I have to pay bills and spare money for the coming difficult time.

Copran-I too enjoy the hunt and have been doing it for a very long time. I was thrown out of college my first year, because it was more interesting to me, to go to the flea market across the street everyday, or to go in ragmills, searching for tiger stripe pieces. I have hunted and collected tiger stripes since the late 1970's. I can say I honestly have handled 1000's of pieces of tiger stripe. Some of the old timers can remember going to the Great Western show, back in the day, and I would always have close to 100 pieces of tiger stripe for sale at every show. Then the next show I would have the same amount, but in different pieces.

But, when a set like Owen's/ Jason's pops up, some collectors have to drop the scrounging mentality, and realize this is a set that never comes along. We all know how rare Golds & VNMC pieces are, but they are extremely common when compared to this set. Instead of worrying all the time about what other people pay for things, and worrying over who gets a piece that sells, it is nice to see a serious collector, like Owen, aquire this killer set of stripe. I aree, it was expensive, but in the long run, I would rather have one set like this then 100 pieces of common patterned tiger stripes. It is easy to say Owen paid too much for it, but that would have been the same as saying a collector back in the 70's was paying too much for SS camo pullovers, at $250.00. The only one laughing about it now is the collector who has held on to twenty or so of these rare pullovers. In a few years time, none of us will be thinking this set was that expensive, we will all be saying what a great deal Owen got then, and all talking about how much it is worth.....

Beau-Brummel

w00t.gif Bloody Hell Owen, only just seen this, what a fantastic set congratulations!

Bob's right, we all love to scrounge about and get something cheap but when something unique or virtually so turns up then It's time to dig deep. I have a couple of named pieces In my collection that I know to be unique and they cost me an arm and a leg (and I couldn't really afford It). I look at the pieces and think of the huge pile of denison para smocks etc that I had to part with to get them and I feel absolutely no regret at all. Friends say I paid over the odds but just like Owens tigers, In a few years thery will be telling me what a great deal they were.

Yours, Guy.

Oi mates ! Its about time to have this thread pinned on. Lets start to show all the BDQ stuff we have in our collections !

Here is of my three uniforms.

post-467-1237127076.jpg

post-467-1237127620.jpg

Last shot. I need a matching pair of pants to go with this shirt.

I've got it at Vintage Productions' a couple of years ago, where else ? :D

A.

Hello Andrei,

very nice shirt indeed.

Interesting to see the pocket modifications normally associated with airborne uniforms on a BDQ related shirt. I love the detail on the rank blossoms to the front.

I imagine the yellow strip is a company/battalion recognition device?

Did you ever mangage to research the veteran further?

Thanks for sharing,

Patrick.