ARVN Ranger Advisor 1965

gwb123

Ranger type / Airborne camouflage set. Modified / restyled to resemble a 2nd pattn jungle jacket, with epaulettes and side adjusters. Note that pocket flaps go in 'wrong' direction. US poplin used in pocket, waistband etc construction. 101 SSI has been sewn on at same time and with same thread as construction of jacket. Inside pocket of jacket was found Vietnamese (?) handkerchief.

I would be grateful for opinions re date or use of this suit

many thanks

Pluto

post-4733-1238925509.jpg

It is a quite unusual set. I would say a private purchase of a Lurp. The good point is the in-country made AIRBORNE arc with the US made eagle.

For the mid-war time period the US made 101st SSI are always mismatched with in-country made arc. I dont know why... perhaps airborne arcs were in short supply.

Beautiful uniform !

A.

Ranger type / Airborne camouflage set. Modified / restyled to resemble a 2nd pattn jungle jacket, with epaulettes and side adjusters. Note that pocket flaps go in 'wrong' direction. US poplin used in pocket, waistband etc construction. 101 SSI has been sewn on at same time and with same thread as construction of jacket. Inside pocket of jacket was found Vietnamese (?) handkerchief.

I would be grateful for opinions re date or use of this suit

many thanks

Pluto

Hello,

2 options for your set:

- Fake made from ERDL material from Thailand, there still are many rolls of material during the 70s - 80s , much of them was used to make commercial hunting outfits. The hankerchief found inside has writting in chinese or japanese. A close up pics of the pants can help.... The epaulets look a little strage for me, not like Viet made ones. There were many fakes seen in Ebay few years ago. The material was not popular for US servicemen, because it s too heavy and too hot.

- The 2nd opinion is that is a Legit set. The reversed pockets flaps are always seen in Viet issued or tailor made set. The local made 101st AB is a plus. You will have to look if there is any QM stamp ...

It is a quite unusual set. I would say a private purchase of a Lurp. The good point is the in-country made AIRBORNE arc with the US made eagle.

For the mid-war time period the US made 101st SSI are always mismatched with in-country made arc. I dont know why... perhaps airborne arcs were in short supply.

Beautiful uniform !

A.

Thanks Andrei & Copran for your observations. The suit is definitely legit. As with many of these things, it is a small size and came via the rag mill. My feeling is that the set has been customised from a Ranger outfit. Looking closely in daylight, one can see tracking from where the knee panels have been removed from the trousers, anyhow, I will add some images as follows:

Neck of jacket showing faint QM stamp, now lost beneath re-tailored collar

post-4733-1238954003.jpg

Thanks Andrei & Copran for your observations. The suit is definitely legit. As with many of these things, it is a small size and came via the rag mill. My feeling is that the set has been customised from a Ranger outfit. Looking closely in daylight, one can see tracking from where the knee panels have been removed from the trousers, anyhow, I will add some images as follows:

Neck of jacket showing faint QM stamp, now lost beneath re-tailored collar

Chest pocket area showing faint tracking where original Ranger pocket/flap was, plus showing different types of threads, pre + post modification

post-4733-1238954127.jpg

Chest pocket area showing faint tracking where original Ranger pocket/flap was, plus showing different types of threads, pre + post modification

Jacket cuff area, showing how sleeves have been tapered. Also shows buttonhole to cuff

post-4733-1238954201.jpg

Jacket cuff area, showing how sleeves have been tapered. Also shows buttonhole to cuff

Trousers, these have been re-built and the waist adjusted, and the hip pockets repositioned. Under the poplin waistband there is partially hidden the QM stamp, but hard to read details. Fly is typical shaved vietnamese buttons.

As for the hankie - my feeling is that it was possibly Thai, Cambodian, Burmese etc if not Vietnamese. Various characters surround a buddha/deity. It's not Chinese or Japanese.

Anyhow, I'm really grateful for all your thoughts on this !

Pluto

post-4733-1238954359.jpg

p

Great mill find .

100% legit in my mind .

Just the way we like to see them .

The sholder straps are in a cut I have seen before but only on od items .

That this was used in camouflage is great .

Invisible ERDL is getting quite a showing in this thread for sure , I myself always regarded it as the stepchild of Vietnam uniform collecting .

I love the pocket flaps , a typical Viet feature .

To me the Only drawback is the 101 patch .

Not my favourite ,a advisor set up would be nice but you cant have everything

But when you see sets like yours it stands on its own 2 legs and says "whats up "

You are in a great mill ,you must keep Justin out of there .

owen

Trousers, these have been re-built and the waist adjusted, and the hip pockets repositioned. Under the poplin waistband there is partially hidden the QM stamp, but hard to read details. Fly is typical shaved vietnamese buttons.

As for the hankie - my feeling is that it was possibly Thai, Cambodian, Burmese etc if not Vietnamese. Various characters surround a buddha/deity. It's not Chinese or Japanese.

Anyhow, I'm really grateful for all your thoughts on this !

Pluto

Pluto,

With all these stamps, witohut iany hesistation, it s a beautiful legit set. Congratulation :D . Legit invisible camo uniform is quitre rare to come by, retrailored set is even exceptionnal.

Cheers

To complete all the ERDL invisible uniforms, here are my 2 early war bush hats, (typical early construction with 3 vents holes each side). One made in Invisible ERDl while other with striped yellow pattern.

post-1523-1238962884.jpg

Here is my Team 162 Viet made Invisible ERDL cap .

This cap completes my Invisible ERDL set that I have shown previously .

Seen here is typicial manufacturing styles that these hats follow .

The size is a 54 and all stitching has matuted with age into a light yellow .

post-2009-1239039355.jpg

The size # is printed and looks like this .

The sweat band is just that ...a sweat band !!!

They were made from a PVC type material and are very uncomfortable .

post-2009-1239039754.jpg

Hello Owen,

that ticks all the right boxes from the grommets to the foul vinyl/PVC stuff.

Very nice.

You will have to do an updated ensemble shot showing everything.

Is a flash bouncing off the cap or is it quite vibrant in colour?

Patrick.

p

I think it is a bit of flash to be honest .

Though is is minty !!!!

The band is cracking in places ,but that is to be expected .

The full shot is comming , all I have to find is my black boots to complete the guy .

o

p

I think it is a bit of flash to be honest .

Though is is minty !!!!

The band is cracking in places ,but that is to be expected .

The full shot is comming , all I have to find is my black boots to complete the guy .

o

Is it made in Poplin ERDL or Heavy weight ? wings look rather LLDB than ARVN Airborne. BTW, very nice hat.

Cop ,

Are you serious ?

This is the traditional Invisible pattern cloth .

The wing came on the hat .

I am wondering if my boy didnt know the difference in the shjop he bought it in .

Lets see ......

Printed patches which you did not like, now the wing .

It seems like Mr Wells did not check in with the badge nazies before he , had his uniform altered , badged up , hat made , and helped a little 3rd world country keep its freedom .

owen

pwmiraldi67

Hello owen

I am a card caring member of the Badge nazis, a sub organization of the stitch Nazis and we don't appreciate you using or organization's name in this manner,

thank you

:)

paul

p

I thought the little moustash and comb over looked weird on you .

But now all it all is comming together .

Hey I need to borrow your Afgan vest , do you still have it .

o