ARVN Ranger Advisor 1965

gwb123

pwmiraldi67
post-467-1237127620.jpg

Last shot. I need a matching pair of pants to go with this shirt.

I've got it at Vintage Productions' a couple of years ago, where else ? :D

A.

Hey Andre

too cool!!! I think thats Mike Valenti? I seem to rember Mike Martin talking about him in his book?? Thats a hot hot set!!!!!

paul

Hi Paul,

the only 1542 infantry 1LT of Militaryusa database is :

Vietnam Veterans Database

Name: VALENTI PETER J

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O02

MOS: 1542

MOS Title: Infantry Unit Commander

Entered: 6806

Discharged: 730903

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

If you have info about another Valenti, I will be glad to know.

A.

Sometimes movies get things very correct when it comes to the small details such as the placement of insignia and proper wearing of uniforms, sometimes they get things mostly right but with a few glaring errors (subdued 101st Airborne SSI in "Hamburger Hill") and sometimes they are just so wrong it makes your eyes hurt to look at them ("The Incredible Hulk").

One thing that always jumps out at me when a dress uniform shows a Vietnam War veteran is how often they show the Vietnamese Presidential Unit Citation being worn. As far as I can tell, the only American unit to have received that award was the Military Assistance Advisory Group, Vietnam and that was in 1954 for assisting in the evacuation after the country was divided into North and South Vietnam. So I noticed that immediately on the picture you posted of Bruce Willis from "The Siege". However, if his character had in fact been an adviser to an ARVN Ranger unit, it is actually very possible that he received the Vietnamese PUC while serving with that unit. In that sense, his badged out uniform may in fact be very authentic. Does anyone know if advisers to ARVN units that received a unit award are authorized to wear that award also?

I'm pretty sure that once a foreign award is officially awarded to an American, it is not withdrawn just because the issuing government ceases to exist. If that were the case, no one would have been authorized to wear the Vietnam Campaign Medal after 1975.

As I said before, I read a lot of army manuals to get the info on the ARVN Ranger Badge.

In reply to IF IT´S AUTHORIZED TO WEAR A BADGE FROM A GOVERNMENT THAT NO LONGER EXISTS, we have:

Army Regulation 670–1 • 3 February 2005

Page277

d. Foreign unit awards. If a foreign unit award is worn, personnel must wear at least one other U.S. decoration,service medal, or unit award. Foreign unit awards are worn after U.S. unit awards, by date of receipt. (See AR600–8–22 for criteria for acceptance of foreign unit awards.) Foreign unit awards are worn as follows:

(1) French fourragere: when authorized for permanent or temporary wear.

(2) Belgian fourragere: only when authorized for permanent wear.

(3) Netherlands orange lanyard: only when authorized for permanent wear.

(4) The Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation is authorized for permanent wear, only. The blue portion of the badge is worn to the wearer’s right. No oak leaf cluster or other appurtenance is authorized for wear with this award.

(5) The Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citation is authorized for temporary or permanent wear, when authorized. The red portion of the central figure is worn uppermost. No oak leaf cluster or other appurtenance is authorized for wear with this award.

(6) The Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation is authorized for permanent wear only.

(7) The Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Unit Citation is authorized for permanent wear only.

(8) The Republic of Vietnam Civil Actions Unit Citation is authorized for permanent wear only.

Page 312

29–19. Wear of foreign badges

a. Personnel may not wear more than one foreign badge at a time. Only those badges awarded in recognition of military activities by the military department of the host country are authorized for acceptance and permanent wear on the Army uniform. The only Vietnamese badges authorized for wear are the parachute, ranger, and explosive ordnance

disposal badges. Soldiers must obtain approval from HQDA, in accordance with the procedures provided in AR600–8–22, to accept, retain, and wear a foreign badge.

b. Males wear a foreign badge 1⁄8 inch above the right pocket flap, or 1⁄2 inch above any unit awards that are worn (see fig 29–84). Females wear the badge 1⁄2 inch above the nameplate, or 1⁄2 inch above any unit awards that are worn(see fig 29–85). Personnel may not wear a foreign badge unless at least one U.S. medal or service ribbon is worn at the same time. Foreign badges are not authorized for wear on mess or utility uniforms. Personnel may not wear foreign badges that are awarded only as cloth badges. Personnel may not wear foreign badges that cannot be worn properly

because of size or configuration.

NOTE: the Republic of Vietnam Unit Citations and the Vietnamese Ranger badges are mentioned expressly.

So, the ARVN Ranger Badge is one of the few authorized badges to be worn on the current Army Uniform Regulation.

Bob and BB

Thanks for the support on my set .

It is a special set for sure .

I can sleep better now that cop has given it his blessing .

Andrei .

That is one fantastic shirt with all the bells and whistles .

o

Owen,

you should re-post your ERDL invisible set in the thread opened by Valery about the Team 162. I will re-post my pinks and my other Team 162 sets soon. Try to post larger pics, if you can.

A.

pwmiraldi67
This shirt is great. I remember when Ethan showed it in San Diego.

Thanks bro, not as nice as your ARVN ranger one, man I love that one!! Ive gotta find the photo of Valentines shirt, its here somewhere LOL

thanks Owen too, :)

p

post-2472-1237525604.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
two more of my favorites, note the two ARVNs standing the one on the right has a swastika tatoo on his chest, pretty cool!

P

Sorry but the two on the bottom look like a couple Saigon "cowboys." Whenever we were able to sneak into Danang we wound see these guys swaggering around the streets in droves.

pwmiraldi67

Lt McDonnald "Don" valentine Ranger Advisor, this was one of 3 shirts he had while in Vietnam, this came from Spike and Ive actually met Don, he told me the Viet wings and MACV were added in 1976 for a reunion.

paul

post-2472-1238688723.jpg

Another shot of the insignia on Mr.Valentines shirt.

I am sure Paul will agree that the published shots do not do the insignia justice.

this was one of 3 shirts he had while in Vietnam

Paul,

do you have any details about what happened to the other items?

Patrick.

2mcayo6.jpg

pwmiraldi67

Hey patrick

Do you own that shirt now?? I sold it about 5 years ago when I was getting heavy into SF stuff and needed trade stock :)

Yea Don said he only brought one home from Nam, had them made up at The Seven sisters Tailor shop some where down south, I had a couple photos of him wearing the shirt too, one of them is at the museum in Ft. benning Ga

Ive also got a few more of Mike Martin too :)

thanks

paul

post-2472-1238695241.jpg

Hello Paul,

i am indeed the current custodian of the shirt. Thanks for the follow up information on the others.

Patrick.

hochiminhtrail

Hi Patrick

you are lucky to own that beauty, i m on the look for named Ranger Advisor shirt in ERDL, well it has been at least two years now.

Alex

i am indeed the current custodian of the shirt. Thanks for the follow up information on the others.

Patrick.

Ranger type / Airborne camouflage set. Modified / restyled to resemble a 2nd pattn jungle jacket, with epaulettes and side adjusters. Note that pocket flaps go in 'wrong' direction. US poplin used in pocket, waistband etc construction. 101 SSI has been sewn on at same time and with same thread as construction of jacket. Inside pocket of jacket was found Vietnamese (?) handkerchief.

I would be grateful for opinions re date or use of this suit

many thanks

Pluto

post-4733-1238925398.jpg

post-4733-1238925425.jpg