ARVN Ranger Advisor 1965

gwb123

Here's another example of a great period photo found in a very unlikely publication.

This was featured in The Young People's Book of the Year, 1966, published by Grolier Incorporated as an annual to their Book of Knowledge. I believe that was an encylopedia aimed at middle schoolers.

This appears on pg. 148 with the caption "U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Fred Wallake on patrol with South Vietnamese Rangers." It is copyrighted and credited to James Pikerell, Black Star.

This picture is a classic for a number of details.

First of all one will observe that on the beret, the Sergeant has added a small ARVN Ranger DI next to the beret flash. I have never seen this anywhere else and would not have believed it if it were not for a photo from the field.

He is wearing early issue exposed button jungle fatigues with a subdued name tape. Notice his Staff Sergeant chevrons... these are either WWII or Korea issue rather than the bright yellow ones that would have been standard for the time period. I have seen other uniforms were similar insignia were worn in the field prior to the use of black and green subdued insignia.

He appears to be armed with an M1 carbine, and looks to have the handle of a machete or broad knife at waist level. The sunglasses with retaining band complete the image.

Equally interesting are the ARVN rangers in the background. Note the less than subtle camo pattern on their helmets... modern repro artists have a difficult time in reproducing this. The Soldiers also appear to be armed with carbines. The one that is stepping out of the photo looks to have a red strip above his right pocket, possibly for unit identification. He has used a light blue cloth as a substitute for his weapons sling.

Notice the ARVN Lieutenant in the background who appears to be speaking into a radio handset. How do we know he is an officer? By that bright gold rank blossom that is in the center of his chest... an unfortunately effective aiming point for any local snipers that apparently can be seen for quite a distance.

I believe I picked this book up at a local library sale for a $1. It was well worth it for this single photo.

1966_Yearbook_3_small.JPG

And a couple close ups.

I suppose now we will see a number of ARVN Ranger berets on the market with an added DI next to the flash!

1966_Yearbook_2_small.JPG

Hello Mr.Burket,

that is a fantastic photograph for all the reasons you have stated.

I have had the pleasure of talking with an ARVN Ranger advisor ( who is a fellow member here) over the last few months, and he recalled that the helmets were painted in such bold,striking colours so that their foes knew without any shadow of a doubt that they were facing a Ranger unit.

Thanks for posting such a gem of a photo, please continue if you find more!

Patrick.

Excellent photo; if my memory is correct that particular style of helmet camouflage was the sole preserve of TD 44 BDQ.

hochiminhtrail

Wow Rolfi you never stop to amaze me with your information, thumbsup.gif

by the way the helmets look a little bit like a mixture of the Rams & Green bay Football helmets, i guess that the ARVN wanted to play some sort of football game in the field, instead of chasing Charlie

does anybody have close shots of origianl ARVN ranger helmets to show think.gif

Cheers

Alex

does anybody have close shots of origianl ARVN ranger helmets to show think.gif

Cheers

Alex

The following photo has been published dozens of times, including the back cover of Shelby Stanton's US Army Uniforms of the Vietnam War.

In addition to the helmet, Cpt. Devlin's uniform is the very definition of a "Christmas Tree Uniform". Before anybody responds to that, I am sure this is what he wore for parade and ceremony purposes, and his field uniform was far less ornate.

Also, we have a later uniform of another Ranger Advisor clearly showing his shoulder sleeve insignia and ARVN camo.

Stanton_Cover_Devlin_small.JPG

Hello,

Here is my ARVN Rangers Advisor shirts, it also has the Christmas tree patches. The camo pattern is the same from the Capt DELVIN pics

post-1523-1209622903.jpg

Another set, the same as worn by the Capt Devlin, unfortunately, no patches were ever sewn on it. Maybe, this is what Advisor worn on the field.

The Ranger Vet on this forum told me these uniforms were not popular since it is made in thick cotton. Even with pleinty of large vents holes (under the armpits, on the sides) it was still very hot.

post-1523-1209623193.jpg

hochiminhtrail

Very nice set there, are the pants matching the worn condition of the jacket??

this is my favorit Vietnamese camo pattern( oh forgot to mention national police field forces is also pasrt of my favorit)

Alex

Another set, the same as worn by the Capt Devlin, unfortunately, no patches were ever sewn on it. Maybe, this is what Advisor worn on the field.

The Ranger Vet on this forum told me these uniforms were not popular since it is made in thick cotton. Even with pleinty of large vents holes (under the armpits, on the sides) it was still very hot.

Alex,

I took pics of the pants, they match the shirt, and you can see the caractersitics of each model.

Here is the fatigue cut

Very nice set there, are the pants matching the worn condition of the jacket??

this is my favorit Vietnamese camo pattern( oh forgot to mention national police field forces is also pasrt of my favorit)

Alex

post-1523-1209679016.jpg

Front of what I call the Airborne model (usually in big size that can be worn by US advisors)

post-1523-1209679164.jpg

nguoi tien su

Great photo indeed !

The south vietnamese often wore ranks on the beret (officers especially, but not only). This was also sometimes done by the advisors.

Here is an other shot of a BDQ advisor with a tiger badge. I guess it is either 1964 or 1965.

This badge is only the tiger's head plus a star, no shield. It is solid construction and typical of the early years.

ranger10.jpg

Interesting to see that the advisor is carrying the radio. He also has a tab above his black tiger patch.

Behind him can be seen the patch of the IV corps (Delta area).

I love those jackets... :rolleyes:

NTS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Copran.

I have been collecting Vietnam camouflage uniforms for 25 years and your heavy weight Invisible Erdl pattern set is fantastic.

In all these years I have only owned the pants.

You have a super rare killer set there.

Well done.

The set is cut just like the 1st pattern windproof uniform.

The shirt has a gas flap?

What is the date in your set?

You have something very special there, in my opinion.

all the best

o

Hi Gil

Just some nice pics !!!!!!!

Good photos as always! I can't recall the story, but I believe the top black and white photo is actually a female soldier assigned to an ARVN Ranger unit. A lot of people do not know that the ARVN assigned women directly to Ranger and Airborne units, and not just to major headquarters.