kinney co. pilot 3"in

Costa

rustywings

I picked up this Kinney Company hallmarked USMC sweetheart or overseas cap piece a few weeks ago. The application of the EGA to the shield of a Navy Aviator badge was never authorized...but it sure makes for a handsome piece. The wing is a little over 1.5 inches in width. I believe this was made in the late 1920's to mid-1930 era.

IMG_5304.JPG

rustywings

I think this badge started out looking near identical to the one Patrick illustrated in Post #37 listed above. A jeweler then cut off the upper and lower portions of the original anchor to accommodate the application of the EGA symbol. Professionally done, but I'm not sure if the Kinney Company added the USMC modifications...or it was done by a private jeweler at a later date?

IMG_5300.JPG

• 2 years later...

I was not familiar with this hallmark until I starting researching a set of 1 9/16" pinback wings that I found in a thrift store for $25.00 this week and came across this thread on Kinney Co. wings here in the forum so I thought I'd start it back up again. Here's the pictures and it was the nice detail on the feathers that caught my eye when I looked at them. That plus the unknown at the time hallmark and the drop in pinback clasp as well as being Sterling marked sealed the deal and happy to have them to add to my collection.

post-17286-0-30586600-1492984847_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-91680100-1492984862_thumb.jpg

I was not familiar with this hallmark until I starting researching a set of 1 9/16" pinback wings that I found in a thrift store for $25.00 this week and came across this thread on Kinney Co. wings here in the forum so I thought I'd start it back up again. Here's the pictures and it was the nice detail on the feathers that caught my eye when I looked at them. That plus the unknown at the time hallmark and the drop in pinback clasp as well as being Sterling marked sealed the deal and happy to have them to add to my collection.

attachicon.gifMVC-001L.JPG

That's a nice addition to your collection! You've got to love that extra feathering detail Kinney Co is known for!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
5thwingmarty

Wow, $877 for a Kinney hallmarked pilot wing tonight. I wish mine was hallmarked but I'm happy to have even a non-hallmarked one.

to the winner of that wing it was worth it to him. an item is worth what some one is willing to pay for it. there is NO set price.