Kinney Company of Providence, RI: examples and patterns

:unsure:

John,

I can't add much that hasn't already been said other than agree The Kinney Company was a major manufacturer of high school, college. . . and military jewelry - most notably being aviator wings which were made between World War I and World War II. Yes, Kinney owned their own wing badge dies and at no time did they ever contract the production of wings to another company.

With regard to the V. H. Blackinton & Company. Probably the only connection between the two companies is that both were located in Providence, RI, a city which in the early 20th Century was the center of the jewelry industry in the United States. At one time over 200 jewelry manufacturing companies were located there that employed over 7000 people.

BTW, I'm very envious of the beautiful wings and bracelet you, Russ, Patrick and Ian have shared with us in this forum.

Many thanks,

Cliff ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
rustywings

I picked up this Kinney Company hallmarked USMC sweetheart or overseas cap piece a few weeks ago. The application of the EGA to the shield of a Navy Aviator badge was never authorized...but it sure makes for a handsome piece. The wing is a little over 1.5 inches in width. I believe this was made in the late 1920's to mid-1930 era.

IMG_5304.JPG

rustywings

I think this badge started out looking near identical to the one Patrick illustrated in Post #37 listed above. A jeweler then cut off the upper and lower portions of the original anchor to accommodate the application of the EGA symbol. Professionally done, but I'm not sure if the Kinney Company added the USMC modifications...or it was done by a private jeweler at a later date?

IMG_5300.JPG

• 8 months later...

Blah who would want this junkie old wing. Just think you'll never be able to get anything else done if you're sitting in your war room staring at that darn thing all day. Plus you know how expensive a divorce can be and your wife will surely leave when she sees you're paying more attention to an old wing than you are her. In the interest of your health and marriages it's best not to bid...let me win and I'll make sure to lock it away so no one gets hurt. Just trying to help my fellow forum members out

Blah who would want this junkie old wing. Just think you'll never be able to get anything else done if you're sitting in your war room staring at that darn thing all day. Plus you know how expensive a divorce can be and your wife will surely leave when she sees you're paying more attention to an old wing than you are her. In the interest of your health and marriages it's best not to bid...let me win and I'll make sure to lock it away so no one gets hurt. Just trying to help my fellow forum members out

You can always get another wife...lol the internet is full of them Im told.:D

There is a guy on ebay (in England I think) who sells uniforms. He has a pretty wife/GF who models them for him... usually just wearing the uniform top, fishnet stockings, and high heels. I've seen him sell a common 15$ uniform for well into the $100s. One could, with some imagination, spice things up with some wings, I guess!!

Its all fun and games until she asks "Baby, do these wings make my bottom look fat?".....

Seriously, a nice set of wings, probably from the 30's, I would guess. Hopefully someone will post the final price.