Kinney Company of Providence, RI: examples and patterns

A very nice trio John. I note that the miniature on my bracelet has the same distinctive Kinney "house style" as its bigger brothers...particularly in regard to the shield.

John,

That's a stunning "hat trick" of Kinney Pilot wings!

Ian,

Nice Kinney-made bracelet! Most likely produced in the late 20's to early 30's.

Here's a couple of smaller (1.5 inch) silver pilot wings by Kinney Co. Likely produced from the same die as the wing mounted on Ian's bracelet depicted in post #19.

IMG_4374_crop.jpg

Russ always makes me feel like a puny wing punk when he starts showing off his stunning collection (thank you sir, can we see another!). :lol:

Here is a small 1 inch naval aviator wing.

I am still under the impression that Kinney wasn't a manufacturer of wings, but rather a wholesaler, and that Blackinton was likely the source of their stock. If that true or am I mistaken?

Patrick

post-1519-0-97156600-1381511888.jpg

Hello Patrick,

That's a terrific little WWI era Naval Aviator badge you've got! It would sure look nice parked next to the full-size USN Aviator badge posted on the previous page!

You may be right about the Kinney Company contracting-out the production of their badges to another company, but I don't believe Blackinton was it. I can't back this assumption with any documentation. But I've handled a good number of badges with Kinney Co hallmarks and found they were all manufactured with their own unique pin...and many were outfitted with a unique "U" shaped drop-in catch identical to the one applied to your small USN wing.

I think if Blackinton had produced them, they would have used the same style pin and catch commonly found on Blackinton hallmarked wings, but that's not the case. There are several examples of this unique catch, which is almost horseshoe shaped in design, depicted in the previous images. Here's another image...

IMG_4387_crop.jpg

It may be time (era) thing. Here is the back of my Kinney Co pilot wings. It has the more typical findings that you would see for a "later" vintage wing (or a Blackinton wing).

My understanding was that companies like Kinney, Pasquali, Luxenberg, and maybe a few others (I have some very similar pattern wings that have no hallmark) have a fine feathered wing pattern that more closely fits into the Blackinton-type feathering pattern. Sure, there are some variations in the exact design, but when you look at these wings, they all seem to be very close.

Based on that, I had always felt that Blackinton had simply been supplying these other companies with stock (including Kinney Co). Maybe over time, the dies and manufacturing processes changed, such that "early" company, like Kinney and Pasquali, were using stock from early Blackinton dies, whilst "later" companies like Luxenberg, were using later Blackinton stock? They don't have to have used all the same exact dies.

In any case, the Kinney Co wings sure are stunning.

post-1519-0-91641500-1381516076.jpg

Here are a couple of other Blackinton/Kinney/Pasquali/Luxenberg type wings. Neither is hallmarked. One appears to be silver plated brass (but with a fake "STERLING" mark) and the other is a plain gilt wing (no hallmark at all). The gilt one (IIRC) has a plain "C" style catch, the silver one has the typical under catch.

post-1519-0-16698700-1381516334.jpg

post-1519-0-19819800-1381516345.jpg

I am with Russ on this one Patrick.

Kinney Co had their own dies for their own wings.

They only made full size wings in the 1920's.

Blackinton also had their own dies and their pilot wing, which is believed to first have been struck in the 1920's, and

was also supplied to Pasquale, Bond and Luxenberg.

Maybe Cliff will chime in, as he has some more specific information on Kinney.

Personally I don't think the Kinney and Blackinton Pilot wing badges look even remotely close,

however I do believe they are the two best looking and highest quality of their type ever made.

John

Kinney top and Blackinton on bottom

post-12439-0-35024500-1381520471.jpg

post-12439-0-52118200-1381520482.jpg

I guess everyone has a different opinion but I would say that the Kinney wing and Blackinton wing look more like each other than any other badge looks like either of them. Are they identical twins, certainly not but they share enough of the same traits that if they were humans you would think they came from the same family. For me it's the shoulders that show a family resemblance. Obviously two distinct patterns but sharing similar traits. And I should add that the Blackinton pattern is my all time favorite so I'm quite partial to it so saying something looks like it is a compliment from me. :lol: