Air Corp Patch? I.D. Help Needed: USN VS-24

JAD57

Hi,

I was wondering if I can get some help in identifying this patch, And if it is a genuine example. Patch measures 5-1/4" Dia.

Too bad about the condition but still has charisma.

Thanks in advance for any help, Jeff

post-48341-0-36402400-1381007320.jpg

post-48341-0-81261800-1381007408.jpg

Thanks, I wish it did, but that was the only air corp item she had. I did also get a 13th armoured div.Medic uniform.

Thanks again Jeff.

Not sure if this patch is related to this tunic, I did look up the 13th. Armored Div. history and saw that they were known as the Black Cats.

post-48341-0-60246900-1381009729.jpg

It's navy fore sure, as my dad has a smaller version in his display case. My dad was vs-27, which this patch is not from that. He was on board the intrepid, randolf and Yorktown. Your answer lies tied to those three carriers during Vietnam.

Interesting. I knew that Vs-27 used to be the pelican with the submarine in it's mouth. My dad has about 3 types of those patches. Didn't know that this patch was from that. Does this predate the pelican/sub? It has too if Johnny vouches for it.

So VS-27 began in 1950. So this patch in the post is most likely early 1950s to 1966 as my father had the later version.

Nice! My dad ran into that unit in 1967. Got his patch from them as they were the sister unit to the VS-27 on that cruise.

My dad's version is about the size of a quarter (slightly larger) with a safety pin on the back. Round, but without the AIRSARON 24 arc on the bottom.

Good work gents

So AIRASRON is Air Anti Submarine Squadron? I knew it would be ID'd by the end of the day. So this design is from the 60's? I couldn't find any history on this squadron.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In 1948 a junior pilot drew this cat on the chalkboard during night operations on a particular stormy night. It remained on the board until all pilots had safely landed. It caught on and became a tradition. The duty cat stayed on display in the VS-24 ready room anytime flight ops were underway.

I was a VS-24 pilot in the early 70's. By the way the squadron was deactivated a few years ago.

In 1948 a junior pilot drew this cat on the chalkboard during night operations on a particular stormy night. It remained on the board until all pilots had safely landed. It caught on and became a tradition. The duty cat stayed on display in the VS-24 ready room anytime flight ops were underway.

I was a VS-24 pilot in the early 70's. By the way the squadron was deactivated a few years ago.

Welcome to the forum! Please feel free to post your VS-24 items!!! And add your knowledge!