Jul. 1942 - Okt. 1942 = 1. Kompanie / Wachbataillion Wien

Okt. 1942 - Dez. 1942 = Stab / Wachbataillion Wien

Dez. 1942 - Mär. 1943 = 1. Kompanie / Wachbataillion Wien

Mär. 1943 - Jul. 1943 = Stammkompanie / Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 487

Jul. 1943 - Nov. 1943 = Marschkompanie / Grenadier-Ersatz-Bataillon 487

Nov. 1943 - Feb. 1944 = Marschbataillon 131/7

Feb. 1944 - Sep. 1944 = 11. Kompanie / Grenadier-Regiment 431

Sep. 1944 - ??? = 7. Kompanie / Grenadier-Regiment 431

In 1945 the remains of the Grenadier-Regiment were placed under the newly formed 303 Infantry Division "Doberitz".

I hope I have everything written down correctly.

Greetings Stefan

USCapturephotos

Very interesting Stefan.

I have had several German veteran friends through the years.Sadly all have passed away. I always enjoyed hearing the stories from "the other side". My closest friend was a fallshirmjager with the 10th Rgt. 4th FJ Division in Italy and was captured there by US forces.

Thanks for sharing about your grandfather.

Paul

Thank you all for reading - here in germany no one will hear storys from the war generation. Its sad - for me they are all heros - but the german state treats them like criminals. Its sad.

@ Ozarkian

Yes this is my Grandpa - in my signature are his medals / Rang and his bith and death date.

Greetings Stefan

Although I know it might be off topic but what medals did he receive? You said he took his medals off because Russians shot highly decorated German soldiers.

Also its amazing how he got wounded so many times. Did he get an Iron cross for it? I'm curious of how the German medal system worked.

-Nick

Although I know it might be off topic but what medals did he receive? You said he took his medals off because Russians shot highly decorated German soldiers.

Also its amazing how he got wounded so many times. Did he get an Iron cross for it? I'm curious of how the German medal system worked.

-Nick

Hello Nick,

he recieve:

Close Combat Clasp in Silver (for 25 Close Combat Battles)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Combat_Clasp

Iron Cross 1st Class (for Valour in Combat)

Iron Cross 2nd Class (for Valour in Combat)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Cross

Infantry Assault Badge in Silver (for 3 Infantry assaults)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_Assault_Badge

Wound Badge in Silver (for his many wounds)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_Badge

Eastern Front Medal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Front_Medal

Greetings Stefan

The french helmet is an interesting item because it's an WWII model with an WWI insignia (look the blue horizon color)....

Soldiers have always loved bringing back memories.

Thanks for sharing.

The French did use the older WWI style helmet badges on the early WWII French Adrians M26 helmets

Ive seen many original French helmets with the old style helmet badge, but I never saw a blue one on a green helmet? they usually would have painted it the same color as the helmet

The French did use the older WWI style helmet badges on the early WWII French Adrians M26 helmets

Ive seen many original French helmets with the old style helmet badge, but I never saw a blue one on a green helmet? they usually would have painted it the same color as the helmet

Hello Bolo,

i found one here:

http://www.world-war-helmets.com/fiche.php?q=Casque-Francais-Adrian-Mle-26

You must scroll down to "Les attributs".

I must take a look on the Photographs my Grandpa made in france 1940 - i know there is one with many french halmet on a street - maybe i found a similar helmet on the photo.

Greetings Stefan

Hello Bolo,

i found one here:

http://www.world-war-helmets.com/fiche.php?q=Casque-Francais-Adrian-Mle-26

You must scroll down to "Les attributs".

I must take a look on the Photographs my Grandpa made in france 1940 - i know there is one with many french halmet on a street - maybe i found a similar helmet on the photo.

Greetings Stefan

yes, it was very common to use a WWI era helmet badge on the French M26 Adrian, here is a color photo taken during WWII

they probably salvaged the badges taken off WWI shells and reused them and didnt always match the same color as the shell

post-1885-0-35324700-1381951042.jpg

Yes they look very similar :)

Thanks for showing!

Greetings Stefan

Hi Marksman. Do yours have a makers name on them. Greetings Welshman ;)

Stefan - Your grandpa was smart to ditch the .45. I know that some American GIs shot Germans they caught wearing American boots during the Battle of the Bulge and I can only imagine that the Russians were worse with regard to their prisoners. I used to own an American flag that a Marine took out of a dead Japanese soldier's pack early in the fight for Guadalcanal. Wish now I'd never sold it. Thanks for sharing - Chris

PS - just read your Grandpa's awards. Sounds like he was quite a stud - Iron Cross first and second class!

I wonder how the gun got there, maybe she still comes from the first world war?

Maybe a Belgium Officer got the gun in WW1 from the Americans and in 1940 he throw the gun away because he become a POW.

I loved his war stories. Only my grandmother forbade him to tell me everything. But then he always did when she was shopping.
He was not only my grandpa he was my best friend to - so "Rest in Peace" my friend you will never forgotten!
Greeting Stefan

Interesting group! I have a German camo helmet that a US vet bring back. It has an identical blue french helmet badge affixed up in side the lining, no doubt by the German soldier. A double bring back helmet!

• 1 month later...

That was quite an interesting read. My own german grandfather left some of his own bring backs for me.

At first I did not know what they were but some research brought me that we are looking at a K98 Polish bayonet he brought home from his campaign there.

The second item is part of a Lancaster bombsight he got while serving with the FlaK at Belgium before the invasion.

1486767_10202755729880766_1974763329_n.j993818_10202755730640785_281085572_n.jpg