What is it? German Minenwerfer from WWI

Renegade

I spotted this at a park in Wisconsin, It looks to be a Mortar of some type mounted on wheels( looks to be a home made modification) , It Has a typical OD green paint Job which you can see in 2nd photo.

wheelspost-104907-0-99289500-1380918896.jpg

Looks to have a t least a 81mm Barrel , it has a military look, with handles and base plate, The town it is at is known for lead and zinc mining. Most Curious??

post-104907-0-67509000-1380919121.jpg

Yep that looks like that is what it is, Thanks! Odd place to find it of course. I suspect this topic needs to be deleted since non U.S.

Dayton used to have a captured German howitzer, but it was melted down for the great WWII...there's another small town south of here that has a German 75mm gun in front of it's (almost always closed) historical society. Actually, maybe I need to go down there and see if I can get that from them????

Mark sends

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is a 76 mm minenwerfer. When metal detecting in the St. Mihiel area of France in the 1980's I found 6 live rounds for a 76 where they had been left, fuze safety pins still intact. Took a pic of them and later told a French friend of mine about them. He wanted them so I took him there and he got them all. He took a pipe wrench and unscrewed the top of the shells and poured out the explosives. I was really wanting to be somewhere else about that time but he did them all. He had been French Army EOD. Anyway, I brought one home and still have it. Sure couldn't get it home now days