Confederate Veteran General Officer Uniform

SARGE

Gentlemen,

I thought I would post an example of a Confederate Veteran General Officer Uniform. This particular uniform is for the rank of Major General in the United Confederate Veterans (UCV).

The uniform follows Confederate regulation for General Officers being a double breasted frock coat with Staff buttons grouped in three. The facings are buff as are the stripes on the trousers. The collar insignia is regulation for a General Officer of any rank. UCV Major Generals were in charge of divisions and divisions were generally state organizations such as the Arkansas Division. So, this uniform would have belonged to a UCV Division Commander.

UCV_Gen_uniform.JPG

Closeup of the buff cuff facings and extraordinary General Officer galoons on the sleeves. The buttons are UCV Staff buttons with a bright raised rim.

UCV_Gen_cuff.JPG

Closeup view of the direct embroidered buff collar and bullion insignia on the frock coat.

UCV_Gen_collar.JPG

These General rank uniforms are almost impossible to find today.

SCF-Collector

Sarge -

An OUTSTANDING UCV uniform - I'm very jealous! Thanks for posting the pics and the description!

Thought everyone might enjoy seeing a picture of someone wearing just such a uniform - at least one that I think it very similar (looking for your comments Sarge).

This is Thomas Benjamin Gwin - at least that's the ink ID on both pictures I have of him in similar poses - one in UCV uniform - the other in a suit. In both he's wearing his Southern Cross - and they are both ID'd in the same hand. The photographer's mark and the folders are identical - so obviously these pictures taken about the same time (likely anyway). I've included the civilian photo as well.

post-1293-1208975991.jpg post-1293-1208976082.jpg

Gwin served in the 32nd and 58th Alabama Infantry. I've found records (Confederate Veteran, 1923) indicating that he was Brig. General, Commander of the Fourth Brigade, Alabama Divison, UCV. He died in 1926 - so this image would be therefore in that timeframe - 1923-26.

I guess his uniform would fit your description Sarge - a General Officer uniform that is - but this one does appear different in terms of the spacing of the buttons perhaps? Thoughts?

Mickey,

Thanks for the kudos and thanks for the wonderful photographs of Gen. Gwin.

His uniform is interesting in that it has the buttons in groups of three and four stripes of braid on his galoons. Most certainly a proper General Officer uniform.

I only have the 1902 UCV uniform regulations but perhaps we can sort Brigadeer General Gwin's uniform out.

We know that Gwin was a Brig. Gen. commanding the 4th Brigade, of the Alabama Division. UCV uniform regulations followed wartime CS uniform regulations and Gwin would be a Brigadeer. In 1902, the uniform for, "Commander-in-Chief, Department and Division Commanders" had the three stars within a wreath collar insignia, buttons in groups of three, and galoons. The galoons had four rows of braid on the sleeves for Division Commanders. So, since my coat has five rows of braid I suspect it is actually a Department Commander (Major General rank) by regulation. I suppose it is possible that it is actually a C in C uniform but there is absolutly no proof of that as it is not named. And, after all Gen Lee wore a wartime coat with the three collar stars of a Colonel and buttons grouped in twos.

M.C. Lilley made both styles of UCV frock coats as shown. The style with the stand up collar that I show and the lay down collar as worn by Brig. Gen. Gwin. M.C. Lilley indicates that Brigade Commanders should have four rows of braid on the sleeves and buttons grouped in two. Their coat, made with the open collar as worn by Brig. Gen. Gwin, did not have galoons except for Division Commanders. Since Gwin commanded a Brigade within the Alabama Division the buttons and galoons do not seem proper on this open collar coat for a Lilley made uniform circa 1902 it seems. If this is a 1920s period photograph I wonder if he was later promoted to command the entire Alabama Division, which would entitle him, it seems, to wear his buttons grouped in three and galoons?

It is sometimes difficult to sort out the differences in rank as opposed to command position. Another issue that complicates figuring all this out is that there were fewer and fewer UCV members and there were Brigadeers commanding Divisions by the 1920s. Would that Brigadeer then simply wear the proscribed Maj. Gen. uniform for Division commanders at this late date?

teufelhunde.ret

I must say... this unique period uniform is in a remarkable state of preservation! Thank you for sharing with us.

SCF-Collector

Thanks for the critical analysis Sarge - that's just what I was hoping for!

It's absolutely possible that Gen. Gwin was subsequently promoted to Alabama Division Commander - but I haven't been able to document that just yet. His position as Brigade Commander is clearly documented in the Confederate Veteran magazine (1923), but he's not mentioned after that. He died in 1926 so the window is short in terms of when that might have happened, if it did - so at least my search horizon is narrowed as I try to track this down.

I have a number of UCV National Reunion programs (1924 and 1927 I think, maybe others), and I can probably get access to the ones I'm missing. They usually list all the UCV Commanders with photographs. Maybe I can get lucky and find Gen. Gwin in one of those (just haven't had the time to search thoroughly yet). I also plan to search some Alabama Division specific resources. Another source would be the UCV General Orders - which would normally have published/announced any such promotion. I don't have many from those years - so I'll have to find another source.

I also have to acknowledge the possibility that these photographs are incorrectly identified. The ink IDs are I think later than the photographs themselves and as we all know even family members have been known to mis-identify individuals based on family "lore". I've not been able to find an independent image of T.B. Gwin to verify this ink identification (I of course continue to look).

BTW, when I'm looking through these Reunion Programs I'll keep your observations about Gwin's uniform in mind and see if I can find any similar examples of the apparent conflicts (e.g., Division Commander vs. Brigade Commander). If I find anything interesting I'll scan and post it here.

Thanks again for the insight Sarge.

Teufelhunde,

Thanks for the kind remarks on the uniform. It appears that it was very well cared for over the years and it is made of very fine material. It was an expensive uniform when it was made, particulary with the direct embroidered collar instead of a patch insignia.

Mickey,

I could not find Gwin listed in 1921. At that time, the Alabama Division was a part of the Department, Army of Northern Virginia and had 69 listed camps. There were 17 Divisions nationally that made up three Departments. The 1921 List of Organized Camps states, "Of the 1,020 Camps, there are 385 Camps which we have not heard from, many of whom, we presume, are dead, thus only 635 Camps have reported, many of which have only 3 to 10 members. Andrew B. Booth, Adjutant General & Chief of Staff."

The Divisions were generally commanded by a Major General. In 1921 the Alabama Division was commanded by Maj. Gen. H.C. Davidson of Montgomery and the 4th Brigade was commanded by Brig. Gen. J.H. Wilson of Anniston. the National Commander was General K.M. Van Zandt, Fort Worth, TX and Maj. General A.B. Booth, New Orleans, LA was Adj. Gen. and Chief of Staff.

This was a very transitory time due to the death rate for these veterans. However, this may give you a starting point.

Wow! This is an amazing piece accompanied by some great historical information!!!

(PS: Hey, other members except SARGE, is it just me or does seeing this beautiful uniform make you jealous? :))

An exceptional and fine uniform. Despite my apparent preference for veteran badges, I do look for uniforms, insignia, etc. Have found very few over the years. Cloth items suffer too badly in attics and basements. And as you can imaging, Confederate items are rare in Yankee land. This is a uniform I would like to own. Congratulations.

Jealous isn't the half of it!

This uniform could be the cornerstone of any veterans' organization collection. I don't venture into the world of uniforms, but if I did, this would be on the order of a Holy Grail.

Kevin

Jealous isn't the half of it!

This uniform could be the cornerstone of any veterans' organization collection. I don't venture into the world of uniforms, but if I did, this would be on the order of a Holy Grail.

Kevin

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your kind words. This uniform is indeed a centerpiece and always garners attention when I display it. I found it many years ago at a small area living history show that was primarily geared for re-enactors. It came out of Missouri via a SW Missouri dealer but with no provinance or history.

Here is a photo of the back showing the cut.

UCV_Gen_back.JPG

Cloth does often suffer abuse over a hundered years or so but sometimes folks seem to have taken extraordinary care of some uniforms. The interior lining shows wear and age but the outside is very nice and the stitching is still relatively strong. Some of my other uniforms are not as well preserved as this one.

SCF-Collector

Sarge -

I've done some additional research trying to solve this mystery - with no luck I'm afraid.

The August 1923 issue of the Confederate Veteran magazine (Volume XXXI, Page 284) clearly indicates Gen. Gwin as commanding the 4th Brigade, Alabama Division. That same listing shows Major Gen. H.C. Davidson as Commanding the Alabama Division. In the July 1925 issue the Commander of the Alabama Division is shown as John R. Kennedy (Tuscaloosa). In Dec 1925 the Commander of the Alabama Division is shown as Gen. T.P Lamkin (Jasper). He is indicated as the Alabama Division Commander (multiple listings) through 1926 (at least). Given that my information indicates that Ge. Gwin died August 6, 1926 - I guess that rules out him having taken command of the Alabama Division.

Gen. Gwin is listed as being from and living in Gadsden, Alabama after the war. UCV Camp No. 275, the "Emma Sansom" camp, is listed as active in both the 1912 and 1921 List of Organized Camps (active = reporting). One would assume that Gwin was a member of this local Camp. I guess it's possible he went on to command that Camp - but he's not shown as the Camp Commander in the 1921 list - and even that would not have entitled him to wear a Maj General uniform.

I'm still digging out and looking through UCV National Reunion programs hoping to find a picture of Gwin and/or some possible explanation for the mis-match between his known rank - and the uniform he's so proudly wearing in the photograph. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky.

BTW, I did find one other specific reference to Gwin in the Confederate Veteran. In October 1925, about 11 months before he's listed as passing, he's quoted (from a letter I assume) in a small side-bar as saying:

Thomas B. Gwin, of Gadsden, Alabama, says he does not want to miss a single number of the Veteran, "For it is very dear to my heart.", so he sends five dollars to insure it's coming to him for some years time.

The search continues.

SCF-Collector
Wow! This is an amazing piece accompanied by some great historical information!!!

(PS: Hey, other members except SARGE, is it just me or does seeing this beautiful uniform make you jealous? :))

For the record - YES, that uniform makes me jealous - not to mention envious. w00t.gif

I've collected UCV for 20+ years and I've never seen another one like it. One day I hope to get lucky and add something like that to my collection - but I'm sure it will pale in comparison to this amazing example!

• 1 month later...

Memorial Day Photo Rock Island Arsenal. Thought this may go along with your uniform, which was great!

It don't get much nicer.

Reb8

post-3217-1212012739.jpg

Reb8,

A great Memorial Day photograph. I grew up in the South and remember being told the old story of why Confederate Soldiers' tombstones are pointed as opposed to those rounded ones for Union Soldiers'. I was told as a child that the CS ones were made that way so the Yankees would not sit on them to rest or tie their shoes.