AEF Service Coat, 89th Div., HQ Co. 353rd. Spec 1285

I was thumbing through my pictures looking for something I could post from my collection. As I was looking at my WWI tunics I noticed that one of the collar disks was marked L company with a hand stamped 353 above the crossed rifles. Odd I thought but figured I'd see if there was any more info to be found on this tunic. It was an e-bay purchase from a few years ago. So I looked it over and found it to be in remarkable condition and was maker marked Henry Sonneborn & Co., Inc. Dated July 3, 1918 The label was also stamped Balto Depot, George Grau. As I looked over the normal spots to be marked I noticed a small white tag sewn into the right armpit. On this tag I could barely make out some letters. obie, then below that was a Wi.

So on a long shot I looked at my roster for L company of the 353rd Inf. And much to my suprise I found a name. Lee M. Jacobie from Sharon Wiscosin!! After seeing this I took a closer look at the small tag and using shade, light, odd angles etc. it Looks as though it says the exact same thing. Seems to have been stamped or very well handwritten on this label. But to make sure I saw no other names ending with obie I continued my scan.

Now here is the wierd part. I found the name Selewoncuk Arthur. Now on it's own that name means little but I own a helmet from the 89th division marked Selewoncuk! But the problem is that this is L company and the helmet I have is marked for the 3HQ 305. Now I find his name in another unit! Now my mind is swirling with things like maybe these two men possibly knew each other. The helmet was in my grandfathers possesion for as long as I can remember until he passed away in 1978. I used to play army with it in the '70's

So anyone have any idea why A. Selewoncuk would be listed as part of L company of the 353rd Inf 89th Div AND be listed in 353rd Inf 89th Div HQ as well while his helmet is marked 3HQ 305??

Also any info on either of these men would be greatly appreciated.

Will post pics of the name tag when I get better shots.

post-9906-0-78737000-1401062692.jpg

This is the tunic that started this. ID.d to Lee M. Jacobie from Sharon Wisonsin. Will post pic of name tag once I get a good shot of it.

post-9906-0-49857800-1401063012.jpg post-9906-0-62169300-1401063035.jpg post-9906-0-10628800-1401063052.jpg

Here are two pictures of the name tag I found in the armpit of the tunic. You can just make out the obie, at the far right and a Wi below it.

post-9906-0-35270400-1401063232.jpgpost-9906-0-10254200-1401063246.jpg

The only thing I can figure is if this is the same soldier. It is possible he was transferred to the 89th after being with the 305th Infantry a short time. I do not have my books with me so I can not check the dates.

• 2 weeks later...

I found out why A. Selewoncuk was showing up on the division roster twice. When he was stateside he was assigned to L co. 353rd inf. When he was sent "over there" he was assigned to HQ co. 353rd inf. Now if I can only figure out the whole 3HQ 305 thing I'll be set.