Box Art Website

gwb123

I recently posted an image of an old Revell Brewster Buffalo kit.

This came from the website:

http://www.boxartden.com/

For those of you who remember the "old school" model kits of the 50's and 60's, this is hours of nostalgia.

Geez, I used to stare a these for hours in the hobby shop trying to think what was worthy of spending my $1 a week allowance on!

Fortunately, back in those days, you could buy 1/72nd kits for 75 to 98 cents. Bought the kit one week, and the paint the following week!

buffalo 2.jpg

I used to cut the box apart and put many TAMIYA tank art on my bedroom walls. There were some very good paintings used in those armor kits. There is a seller on Ebay that has been selling original art from aviation models. I have bought several and they are fantastic. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Steve

I remember that one manufacturer(Revell?) textured their box art to make it appear to be an actual oil painting. I too used to cut the box art off the model box and hang it on the walls of my bedroom.

I remember that one manufacturer(Revell?) textured their box art to make it appear to be an actual oil painting. I too used to cut the box art off the model box and hang it on the walls of my bedroom.

I think we all did that. I actually had mine framed.

I used to cut the box apart and put many TAMIYA tank art on my bedroom walls.

And here I thought I was the only one that did that. Thanks for sharing this

Mike M.

great topic, Gil! thanks for starting it.

Model box art was such a big part of my modeling experience when I was a kid in the late 60s/early 70s. When I visited the local department store searching for a new kit to buy, the box art was an important factor in the decision making process. Dynamic, action-oriented, paintings on box art always won out over simple photos of static built kits.

One man's style in particular appealed to me. Only years later did I learn his name: John Steele. That guy could paint! Love his work. He worked for many different model companies over the years and covered various types of models. I'm sure you all will recognize some of these classic kit covers:

post-1208-0-17856100-1380903737.jpg

post-1208-0-97139600-1380903752.jpg

but it was Steele's warship box art that really fired my imagination. I built just about every warship kit I could afford with Steele box art. Here are some representative examples:

post-1208-0-52755800-1380903954.jpg

post-1208-0-85458000-1380903968.jpg

post-1208-0-17022700-1380903980.jpg

such a fun trip down memory lane!

Terry

Funny enough I will be meeting Hasegawa Illustrator/ Box Art Artist Tenjin Hidetaka tonight. He will be a special guest at Macross Con tomorrow. Looking forward to getting his book and a Macross Model Kit Box signed.

post-20589-0-24446400-1380908648.jpg

This is the last one I have. I was just impressed by the quality of this print. The Ebay seller had hundreds of these prints, of all types of planes and cars. I wish I would have been able to buy more. The level of the work is super.

Steve

post-5349-0-81330300-1380923283.jpg

I got on Ebay and found the seller. He still has MANY super, high quality model box prints left. The seller is treasurezz if anyone would like to check it out. I hope you find something or just enjoy looking at what he has.

Steve

Ian, if you go on the box art website, Airfix is included in his gallery.

Thank you Gil...I'll delve a little deeper!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My experience in the early 1970's was much the same. 99-cent 1/72 models. All of them eventually fell to fire-crackers or BB guns. Had to save up money for the larger Tamiyas. Probably the biggest thing I got from modelling was the passive learning about the item I was building. Models are too expensive for kids to do much of that today. I saw a model at a craft store with a $110.00 price tag on it. :>(