WASP GROUPING

cea1274

I don't like it ! The patch is wrong, the wings are not right, and I have no thoughts on the jacket.

If anyone cares to see a comparison, I'll put up my wings and patch tomorrow.

doinworkinvans

I would stay far away from that. The jacket itself may be real, but the fact that the patch is not attached - wierd in my opinion.

Also that picture of "her" in the bomber suit looks like it was dress up day for a photo shoot.

Save your money!

doinworkinvans

If anyone cares to see a comparison, I'll put up my wings and patch tomorrow.

Yes - please share

doinworkinvans

I like how that patch is a two piece - never knew that before. Those are some great pieces JS

I like how that patch is a two piece - never knew that before. Those are some great pieces JS

I don't believe all of the patches are two piece. I believe some are one piece and some are two piece.

....Kat

Kat, I really don't know, there are not many out there to compare with. Maybe someone can come forward with some information.

There is a picture of a WASP A-2 jacket on the Texas Women's University website. It is a one piece leather patch.

I spoke via e-mail with the daughter of a WASP. This was her response about the patch

"Fifi patches worn during training were created by the individual WASP trainees. There was no 'official' ordering of patches. They had them designed and made either in Houston or Sweetwater--which is why there are several versions, including cloth and leather. WASP Shutsy Reynolds (44-W-5) hand-made leather fifi patches from the leather she bought-- and some enamel automobile paint. She sold them to her classmates and other trainees. My mom actually still has that original leather patch, along with the embroidered one."

Johnny Signor

The "ebay" patch looks like a recent "repro" it's "correct" in the design "Disney" made , but a far cry from the images of the real ones I've seen in WW2 era photos, and as mentioned they were made "personally" by the WASPS themselves and thus would not have been so "pristine and detailed" as the e bay shown patch ..... Jmho

• 1 month later...

When it comes to the WASP and the WAFS, it's important to remember that they were not Army personnel and had no military status. They were civilians who were put through a training program to fly Army aircraft and were employed as civil service workers. Jackie Cochran designed their wings and uniforms. Their was no "official" design for their wings or uniforms. Cochran tried to have the women commissioned as service pilots but the program was disbanded due to the lack of need of their services once the war in Europe turned in the Allies' favor.

Their was no "official" design for their wings or uniforms.

You are correct about them not having military status but there was an AAF Regulation No 40-9 which specified the regulations for the uniform. The title of the regulation says "Personnel Civilian Wearing of the WASP uniform".

This regulation can be seen on the Texas Women's University website.

http://www.twu.edu/library/wasp-wings.asp

Edit to add that the regulation is also on the Blitzkrieg website under the WASP uniforms.

http://www.blitzkriegbaby.de/homepage.htm