M1 Carbine Underwood Opinions

Garandguy56

Looking into this M1 Carbine. It's made by Underwood and has a 43 date barrel. Any thoughts? Seller wants $1200 for it.

post-125130-0-39245600-1380669342.jpg

Highwood, push button, early band, mid/late rear site...still looks like an early rebuild. Is there cartouche?...is that an import mark on the reciever? Not a big fan of imported US Arms. If it's an import mark, I think $1200 is $200 too high. Just opinion.

The pic is a bit hard to make out...but I see "......arms ?l.ex.va. I'm not an expert, but it appears to be an import mark...possibly hidden under the stock and not viewable when assembled. I guess clean nice pieces are going for 1200 to 1500, and they are not import marked. Are there variations in the bluing consitant with being a mixmaster or a built carbine?

Maybe it's not an import mark...maybe it's the steel producer...can't really tell. I would verify with the seller. He took a picture of it.

Seller may not know what an import mark is...or may have just checked the barrel. If it appears to be a built or restored carbine, import marked 600 to 800. If it is restored and being sold as orginal, I would question every piece on it.....

Either the seller doesn't have his story straight..or this info online is wrong. NOTE: INTERARMS ALEX VA

The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbines - Barrel Manufacturers
www.bavarianm1carbines.com/barrels.html‎
U.S. Carbine Barrels. ... Company, Location, Import Mark, Location on barrel, Origination ... INTERARMS ALEX VA, right side of barrel just forward of receiver

Its import marked.

To much dinero for what it is.THere are a lot of carbines out there.I know of a Winchester here for that kinda money thats a Arsenal re-build but nice and not import stamped.Seen a couple in the $750 range that are arsenal re-do's here also.

$600......Still a lot of money for a Mutt. :huh:

I agree $600 is a lot of money, but this is still a nice carbine, it is just not worth $1200. Some people will not own import marked carbines, I own a couple and enjoy the "mutts" quite often. I own a Import marked Rock-Ola and it is one of my favorites.

Chris

You probably know this but its been rebuilt. Only Winchester and Inland made carbines that left the factory with the adjustable rear sight. This was done in late 44 into 45. All other manufacturers that made them during WWII had the flip sight.