lettow

Iwo Jima KIA Group

This group belongs to a relative. Cpl. Downey enlisted shortly after Pearl Harbor and saw action in the Pacific with the 9th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division. In late 1944 he contracted malaria and was ordered to convalesce stateside. Instead he stowed away on the vessel transporting his unit for the invasion of Iwo Jima. On February 27, 1945, a shell from a US naval gun fell short and landed in a foxhole he was occupying killing him and three others.

The Bronze Star was awarded posthumously. It was recommended by the company commander, rejected by the regimental commander but restored by the division commander.

IMAG0309_zpsa4d53858.jpg

IMAG0306_zps97eefe5c.jpg

IMAG0308_zpsa5ad7566.jpg

donation2014.gif

Very nice group.

Is the B.S. named ?

Would love to see a picture of the whole back of it either way.

donation2013.gif

Very nice group, do you know if they have any documentation?

If the Bronze Star isn't named, there is no worry as they were rarely named...even for KIA's.

Philip

Actively Seeking:

WW2 USN/USMC Attributed/Named Purple Heart Groups

WW2 USN/USMC Combat Aviation Groups

WW2 and Prior USN/USMC Medal Groups

Contact me if you have something

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Wow Killed by friendly fire. Never seen one from Iwo. Thanks for sharing.

Nick

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Collecting Marine Raider Groups

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

Another man who wanted to be with his fellow warriors instead of taking the easy way out. RIP CPL Downey; God Be With You and Others Like You.

John

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

WWII USMC posthumous Bronze Star / Purple Heart groups are always tough to find! Thank you for posting!

Mike

Remembering Cpl. William E. Downey who gave his life 69 years ago today on Iwo Jima.

donation2014.gif

I reread parts of Richard F. Newcomb's "Iwo Jima" the other day, it's incredible how bad Iwo was.... here's to Cpl Downey's memory.

DakotaDave

"Consider yourselves already dead." - General Savage to assembly of the fictional 918th BG - "Twelve O'clock High"

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories. In the end, that's all there is."

Remembering my uncle on the 70th anniversary of his sacrifice on Iwo Jima.

donation2014.gif

Re-posting the pictures on the 73rd anniversary of his passing.

post-130897-0-30777100-1519748966.jpg

post-130897-0-32478500-1519748977.jpg

post-130897-0-75386700-1519748989.jpg

donation2014.gif

R.I.P. Marine! Semper Fi.......Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

You may already have this but I figured if you did not you would likely want it. God bless him. Thank you for keeping his story alive. Semper Fidelis.

post-2182-0-00604900-1582822595_thumb.jpg

donation2012.gif

Always looking for quality WWI and WWII USMC items. Particularly 4th Marine Brigade related items, medals, uniforms helmets ephemera, Also WWII USMC items including uniforms, medals, etc. to combat veterans especially Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima. Let me know what you have. Semper Fi

Another card that accompanied the first reporting on him having died of his wounds.

post-2182-0-17544000-1582822688_thumb.jpg

donation2012.gif

Always looking for quality WWI and WWII USMC items. Particularly 4th Marine Brigade related items, medals, uniforms helmets ephemera, Also WWII USMC items including uniforms, medals, etc. to combat veterans especially Guadalcanal, Tarawa, Iwo Jima. Let me know what you have. Semper Fi