bfryar44

Helmet Nets

...attached is a picture of 551 Troopers conducting the first-ever static-line parachute jumps from the CG-4A Glider at Camp Mackall & you can clearly see the helmet nets

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/82n.../GliderJump.jpg

Hello,

That's a very rare image. Jumps from the CG-4As were not common. But... are you sure that the pic posted was taken at Camp Mackall, and if so, do you know when? I am asking because one of the paras has M1C helmet and the jumps from CG-4As were trained also in UK just before D-Day.

Regards

Greg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Regarding the 79th Infantry Division Helmet Nets:

Has there been anymore discussion/discovery regarding these helmet nets? I have been researching the 79th Division, and I have fascinated with the story behind this strange helmet net. To my novice eyes, it does look a lot like a Japanese helmet net. I think that there are photos of a large group of GIs on Kwajalein Atoll (7th ID, 111th Infantry, I think) with very similar helmet nets which seem to be gathered at the top. Any more ideas or insights into these helmet nets?

Just wondering...

Thanks,

John

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - Gen. George S. Patton

"The fact that battle is a horrifying spectacle must make us take war more seriously, but not provide an excuse for gradually blunting our swords in the name of humanity. Sooner or later someone will come along with a sharp sword and hack off our arms." - Carl von Clausewitz

donation2014.gif

donation2017.gif

Were there any units in the ETO that used the larger square helmet net in large numbers besides the 79th ID? I'm hesitant to call them cut up vehicle nets because if you look closely at the following pictures you will notice these are actual helmet nets. Notice the weaved "crown" at the top of the helmet. :think:

Any thoughts?

79th Infantry Division

PDVD_005-1.jpg

This model of net can be seen in the 1942 movie showing Rangers training in Hawai (time 14:50). So, who knows, maybe some number of those nets arrived to the ETO together with the Rangers.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Maj. Gen. John E. Sloan, Commander of the 88th ID, and his helmet with less typical net.

I've seen photos of nets that look very similar being worn by french colonial troops in the Cassino area, its posiable given that the 88th Division might have had access to these types given that they arrived in the cassino area in Febuary 1944, as oppossed to being sent to anzio.

Normandy

I,ve seen this photo, they are GIs of the 79th Division landing across Utah on June 14th.

Any info on these nets?

59A6U.jpg

These nets are clearly field made, its worthy to point out the Marine in the group with the camoflage cover on his pot, when you enlage the photo you will see the Eagle globe and anchor sencil on the pocket.

Were there any units in the ETO that used the larger square helmet net in large numbers besides the 79th ID? I'm hesitant to call them cut up vehicle nets because if you look closely at the following pictures you will notice these are actual helmet nets. Notice the weaved "crown" at the top of the helmet. :think:

Any thoughts?

79th Infantry Division

PDVD_005-1.jpg

PDVD_004-1.jpg

PDVD_003-1.jpg

PDVD_027.jpg

PDVD_038.jpg

PDVD_023.jpg

PDVD_028.jpg

PDVD_035.jpg

I would doubt that these nets where even worn by everyone in the 79th Division, they most likely where worn only by a few units, in any event,it would seem that these nets that where worn by the GIs in the 79th Div in normandy did not survive into the war, you will see in by the autume of 1944 the normal nets being worn if any where being worn by these troops.

Morning Gents,

Perhaps you guys, can help me nail down a point of origin for these helmet nets.

They are VERY VERY common amongst the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division from Anzio though to the end of hostilities in May 45'.

I can't for the life of me find anything definite as to how, where or who they got them from. I've heard they're British vehicle nets, I've heard British and/or Canadian helmet nets. However, nothing definitive as of yet.

Heres a good picture of them...

05539c23bc52325f_large_zpsd483102f.jpeg

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
FRISCAN

"The Galloping Ghost of the North African Coast"

TC1c James F. Dunigan, III
Gunnery Division 4, U.S.S. Savannah, CL-42

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

79th Inf Div in Normandy again, this time the net being worn by the Div CO himself Major General Ira Wyche.

post-34986-0-05390100-1383533002.jpg

A GI of the 150th Armored Signal Company, 10th Armored Division wearing a piece of a Camo Vehicle Net, photo was taken while te 10th Arm Div was still Training in the States, possibly in the summer of 1943 or 1944, not sure. Note he also wears his chin strap under the chin.

post-34986-0-58381100-1387347793.jpg

We've talked alot about the 7th Inf Div's nets in the Kwajalein Operation, but we seem to have neglected the fact that the 7th Div wore British/Canadian nets on Attu and Kiska. In fact in one of those Color photo books on WWII that came out in the mid 90s shows a pre war photo of 7th Div Troops undertaking Ampibious Training of the California Coast, at least one soldier is wearing these nets ON his M1917/1917A1 helmet, sure wish I still had this book. Also interesting is the fact that the 7th Div apparently discarded these nets after the Aleutian Islands Campaign, they never wore them again, strange, strange that the British nets were not worn whole scale during the Pacific War by the Army, they woulda been ideal.

pacific033-L.jpg

Lots of the FSSF also wore the same nets as the 7th.There is a great close up of Colonel Frederick wearing a net with Cols emblem blackened out or painted over on his helmet.I would post the picture but have loaned the book to a friend

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Hello,

That's a very rare image. Jumps from the CG-4As were not common. But... are you sure that the pic posted was taken at Camp Mackall, and if so, do you know when? I am asking because one of the paras has M1C helmet and the jumps from CG-4As were trained also in UK just before D-Day.

Regards

Greg

Should copy and post it here.If the site goes down or away the picture will also.

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

The 42nd Infantry Division's unique nets as seen on Asst Div Commander Brigidier General Henning Linden, he took elements of the Rainbow Division into action in late December 1944, Not sure on the what's and when's of these nets, if they were or could be hand crafted or they could be cut from Camo nets, and just how many units within the 42nd Div wore them. A 42nd Div WWII Yearbook might hold the answer, but I don't got one.

post-34986-0-34139700-1389682687.jpg

Hello,

Can anybody tell me what type of net (hopefully original) this is (US, British)? Also if it is appropriate for representing a G.I. during the Normandy landings? Thanks

post-69583-0-53826800-1432598074.jpg

post-69583-0-51673400-1432598081.jpg

Looks like the Brit net

In Memoriam:

Thanks doyler, that's what the seller's description said so just wanted to confirm. So would this type of net have been seen on G.I. helmets during the Normandy invasion?

Here's that very wide mesh again this time on Major General Harry Malony CG 94th Inf Div circa Feb 45.

post-34986-0-23430600-1439261588.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.