bfryar44

Helmet Nets

Were there any units in the ETO that used the larger square helmet net in large numbers besides the 79th ID? I'm hesitant to call them cut up vehicle nets because if you look closely at the following pictures you will notice these are actual helmet nets. Notice the weaved "crown" at the top of the helmet. think.gif

Any thoughts?

79th Infantry Division

PDVD_005-1.jpg

PDVD_004-1.jpg

PDVD_003-1.jpg

PDVD_027.jpg

PDVD_038.jpg

PDVD_023.jpg

PDVD_028.jpg

PDVD_035.jpg

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

The 92nd ID also used this exact same kind of nets. They spiral up to the crown of the helmet and are similar to Japanese helmet nets (sometimes also used on M1 helmets in the PTO), but most likely these are field made nets.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

So i believe did the 30th (Old Hickory) Div....Lots of pictures of the "new" divisions into the Bocage in July-August 1944 with the large style 2" mesh helmet nets

Regards

Lloyd

What do you need another one of those for.....you have 6 of them already ?.........

:blink:

my girlfriend to me on a regular basis as another piece of US WW2 "Green stuff" aka militaria arrives in the post..:-)

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

The nets used by the 79th are very distinctive. If they are cut from vehicle nets they've been modified. I'm intrigued to know their origins. Where they custom made? Was there an order from Divisional HQ far all troops to wear said nets? Has anyone got any nets like this in their collection?

Lots of pictures of the "new" divisions into the Bocage in July-August 1944 with the large style 2" mesh helmet nets

Hey Lloyd. Your right about those 2" nets being used by many units in the battle for Normandy. Do we know for sure any other units used the distinctive nets the 79th used? Anyone got any pics?

Chris

The M-1944 headnet is interesting, but here is something I haven't seen displayed very often, the earlier M-1942 headnet 27-H-195. The big difference here is it is a tube with a drawstring at both ends. The drawstring at the top was to secure it over the rim of the helmet. The bottom drawstring is to secure the net around the shoulders. I was at a local gun show a long time ago and a dealer had a pile of 10 of these, mint and still folded the same as the day they were made. In fact I had to unfold this one just to take the picture. I think I paid $20 for the whole pile. I tried selling them on Epay about 7 years ago and they got a very luke warm reception, except for some guy in Europe who seemed quite excited and ended up buying 5. I guess my question is, are they at all scarce/desireable in mint unissued, still folded condition. Just curious.

post-299-1200239332.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Bob, I think it is just the old fogy gear collectors like you and me that get excited about a helmet net variation. The new guys are still trying to put together their first basic set of gear and most of the old collectors have branched off into several different directions. I don't think there are very many that take the same branch you and I did. That is a very nice net by the way.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Craig, you and I are definietly kindred spirits with our collecting interests. I generally don't collect multiple versions of a single variation, but I love to collect as many different model variations as I can. BTW. The wonderful tutorials that you post periodically on equipment/cloting variations are not lost on me. I love them and keep them coming!!

Bob Law

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Maj. Gen. John E. Sloan, Commander of the 88th ID, and his helmet with less typical net.

post-75-1206526612.jpg

post-75-1206526627.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Clearly the US made nets specifically for helmets and improvised a bit as well. I've heard stories of the military cutting up Badminton nets for this purpose when they were needed ASAP. A forum member stumbled upon a box of this type [minus the crown] and was selling them a while ago. Your pictures prove that they were widely used but not as common as the quarter inch square variety.

donation2007.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

i have also seen that they used pices of cam nets without the burlap

maybe thats what it is ?

cheers from norway

The net at the top, i believe has been photographed on some 502nd guys in Normandy, not sure if it has the crown or not

If you can read this, thank a teacher, and, since it's in English, thank a soldier.

- Anonymous

Dedicated to the hard core.

This is an image of a camouflage M1 helmet with the drawstring net camo cover (paint is over the net)... I am certain it is a South Pacific issue. Ed

post-3653-1216569089.jpg

Ed Hicks

WARPATH Military Collectibles

819 Hope Mills Road

Fayetteville, North Carolina

(910) 425-7000

Always buying U.S. Airborne & Vietnam Special Forces artifacts and groupings, Painted and Rare U.S. Helmets; U.S. Valor Medal Groupings, Fine Swords...

Buying or trading for my collection: 1950s-1970s Vietnam era Rolex & Tudor Watches...

Contact me before you sell... [email protected]<script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript">/* */</script>

My Web Sites: http://www.battlefieldmuseum.org

http://www.warpathmilitaria.com 

Posted Image

I have these Helmet nets and i was wondering if they were originals or repros. Thanks!

Haydn

First One

post-5136-1248728458.jpg

Actively collecting 7th Armored Division items, groupings, etc. especially anything dealing with CO B, 23rd AIB

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." - Colonel David M. Shoup

donation2011.gif

Close up

post-5136-1248728513.jpg

Actively collecting 7th Armored Division items, groupings, etc. especially anything dealing with CO B, 23rd AIB

"Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency; we are winning." - Colonel David M. Shoup

donation2011.gif

Second Net

post-5136-1248728588.jpg

Thanks for any replies.

donation2011.gif

The material looks like it is synthetic, possibly some kind of fishing net. Have you tried the burn test on it?

Original WW2 helmet nets were cotton material.

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Yeah they look synthetic in the photos but they arent that shiny in person. I will try the burn test then and let you know.

Thanks for the info.

Haydn

donation2011.gif

Second Net

helmetnet3.JPG

Thanks for any replies.

These are "fakes", "reproductions", "repops", look-a-likes", etc. These are used mostly by reenactors who are trying to get "The Look" without spending "The Money" on an original net or potentially destroying an original net. I sell tons of these "fish net"(as someone stated) looking nets on eBay mostly to reenactors but, there are also a few new collectors who are trying to get "The Look" to impress their friends, who also buy these. An original will have a drawstring on the net with the exception of the two inch cargo style nets of WWII, which were made up of... ah, cut up cargo nets. ;)

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Oh okay I gotcha, the one net has a black nylon looking drawstring which I know isn't WWII and it came with a group of 5 helmets i bought the other one was from ebay.

And yeah it does give it "The Look" haha, I think I'll keep them on until i can get some originals.

Thanks for the info,

Haydn

donation2011.gif

Normandy

p0125951.JPG

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

howdy , does anyone make a repro helmut net , I would really like to get one for my M1 helmut, please post , happy

In doing research on the 551st Parachute Infantry, their helmet nets were made on the troopship that took them from Panama back to the Us & Camp Mackall in late 1943 - attached is a picture of 551 Troopers conducting the first-ever static-line parachute jumps from the CG-4A Glider at Camp Mackall & you can clearly see the helmet nets

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/82n.../GliderJump.jpg

Crapgame: Then make a DEAL!

Big Joe: What kind of deal?
Crapgame: A DEAL, deal! Maybe the guy's a Republican. "Business is business," right?

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.