PT Boat patches

Guest M1911A1

Guest M1911A1

Hi I got this PT squadron patch at a sale. It is embroidered on cloth black torpedo on an off white cloth. Itis not like pictures of others I have seen. could it be theater made here are pictures of front and back
post-492-0-93899000-1408472789.jpg

post-492-0-71547600-1408472785.jpg

It is the summer version of the PT boat distinguishing mark not a squadron patch. This patch was not official although I would not doubt some were worn. The blue patch was the official worh on white and blue uniforms.

• 1 year later...
David Minton

I know there are a number or reproductions in circulation, so I wondering what everyone thought of this one. It was sold as a period WWII Motor Torpedo Boat Squadrons patch. Of note is that it is dark blue, rather than black, as most of the patches sold as reproductions appear black to me.

Does it look period, or reproduction?

post-24355-0-32206400-1409083437.jpg

Patchcollector

I have a blue variation too,I would'nt call them rare,but they are harder to find than the black ones.

vintageproductions

I have never seen a fully embroidered black one. Only the fully embroidered blues ones, like the two that are shown in this thread.

I have never seen a fully embroidered black one. Only the fully embroidered blues ones, like the two that are shown in this thread.

It must be pretty rare if you've never seen one?

I have a black one on my quilt. I have actually seen at least 6-7 FE ones on ebay in the past 8 years. Most probably do not look at them since the PT patch isn't sought after.

Maybe you'll check the photos a little better now =)

I never recalled any of them going for more than $60. worldwarpatches is selling one for $150, but I think $60 is the top end price. I agree with most other folks, they aren't rare.

David Minton

Thanks for the feedback. I see a number of the black ones sold as reproductions, so I guess the real ones aren't popular because casual collectors/reenactors have a cheaper alternative?

I bought it as part of a group, and assessed it at $20, so it sounds like I did OK.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...